Rumpless Araucana or Cream Legbar?

I have never found my legbars stressed over the winter because of cold. They free range even then.....which means they are outside and eating whatever I throw for them to eat.

I have a sneaking hunch my weather is a tad colder than yours..:lau

I have never found my legbars stressed over the winter because of cold. They free range even then.....which means they are outside and eating whatever I throw for them to eat.

I have a sneaking hunch my weather is a tad colder than yours..:lau

For sure it is colder!! We had a mild winter too! But on cold days she would be inside shivering. I started putting the heat lamp on some so she could get warm before turning it off for the night.

For sure it is colder!! We had a mild winter too! But on cold days she would be inside shivering. I started putting the heat lamp on some so she could get warm before turning it off for the night.

Do you think that could have been the problem, I have found it best to just let them get use to the cold instead of adding heat then taking it away.

I do have some winter losses in extreme cold but that is in every breed, the cold seems to cull out the weak ones.

Do you think that could have been the problem, I have found it best to just let them get use to the cold instead of adding heat then taking it away.

I do have some winter losses in extreme cold but that is in every breed, the cold seems to cull out the weak ones.
Well I figured once everyone was inside then they would keep each other warm. She was the only one struggling with the cold. She spent a lot of time in the coop. I spent the second part of February, march and April in FL. So I'm not sure when she started to lay again in the spring but I think it was when I got back in May.

Most birds I've lost have been to raccoons. Took care of that problem. I've lost two to I think botulism in the fall. I need to start watching out for signs. And th CL bigger sister I accidentally drowned this spring. She was having some issues and I tried to give her some sugar water. Oops. Live and learn.

It's starting to get colder where I live and so I worry about my 2 surviving Araucana getting too cold. But I tried putting two Buff Brahma hens with them. The Brahmas are so gentle and the two groups of chickens huddle together at night for warmth. I can't put my Araucana rooster with anything too aggressive like I did last winter.

Back
Top Bottom