rumpless gene ? (Tim this means you)

Unfortunately, it's a total crap shoot. The breeders I got her from have two roos and more than twenty hens. When the chicklets hatch, they get put in a big brooder. I had not intended to breed her to a Marans roo at all, but since there's some interest, it can't hurt. I do want to breed her to my EE who has an Araucana daddy.

I would like to add that the intermediate type of rumplessness is a modification of the dominant gene by one or more pairs of recessive genes. I imagine if a bird had enough of the recessive genes then the bird would appear normal. It would probably take a dissection of the vertebrae located in the tail region to see a difference.

On the accidental, there are various things that can cause the bird to be rumpless and they have to do with incubation conditions (temperature change)or physical shaking of the egg. A person should not see the accidental form very often ; upwards of 1 in 1000.

Tim

That's wild about the incubation. One more thing for me to worry over.
roll.png
I'm sure breeding her will tell me a lot. I'm just not sure if I'm fit to interpret the data. A nice lady form the Marans board told me to press into her rump where the Parson's nose should be and if it gives then she's truly rumpless. I couldn't feel a Parson's nose on her. Does that indicate anything? It's as close to dissection as I'm willing to get.

Seriously Tim, your input is always appreciated. I'm having a doozy of a time finding anything other than anecdotal explanations of accidental rumplessness. My assumption was that some sort of tailbone would have formed, just not a complete one. Based on the anecdotes I just read, that's not the case. I can't access the Interscience site, so no sciency love. I'll keep poking around. Maybe I'll make a brilliant discover. More likely, I'll gain five pounds.

The information I gave you was from research. I have never had a rumpless bird show up in my birds. I hatch around 200 birds a year.

Tim

That's a lot of birds! I showed her to the breeder and they hadn't seen any others like that. I continue to talk to folks on this site and others who've bought from the same people and no one has seen this. I'm sure they're hatching many hundreds of chicks in a year. Maybe she is the result of a jolt to the egg. At this point, that would be a little disappointing. I was going to start my own line of Copper Black Kooky Marans.

anyone still follow this thread? I have hatched a rumpless serama and would love to find out more, to breed or not to breed it.

Can somebody help me to understand the way rumpless gene work in araucana? I'm talking about these genes...

Dominant Rumplessness Rp No coccyx (tail vertebra), reduces hatchability rp+ Wild-type gene.
Recessive. Lack of dominant rumplessness. Fowls usually have tails
Recessive Rumplessness rp-2 A skeletal mutation commonly called 'roachback'

Thanks in advance
Thomas

Back
Top Bottom