"Rumpless" Polish in Australia

Thanks for the photos

I hope she will be healthy for years like Tailless.

So far its just her dirty bald butt thats a concern. Else she is very alert, energetic and eats and drinks and "fights" like the best of them.

I won't be breeding or selling her either -so there is no worry about that.

I like rumpless birds too. Even searched for a breeder in Australia but my search skills weren't so great. I'm fairly certain her "strain" of rumpless-ness is actually a random mutation too and not hereditary.

I think they're cute, but I was unaware of the health issues and problems associated with it. You learn something new every day

Well Tailless is adorable, but derpy is the best way to describe her personality... she reminds me a bit of Hei-Hei from Moana... my personal theory on why she joined my Meat flock is she can out run the rooster, so none of that pesky mating attention happens, but as part of “his” flock she also doesn’t need to worry about attempts from any of the other roosters. She is cute, and seems fine health wise.

It was at least every other day, if not daily bum cleanings for the other two though, all the way to slaughter for the one that became sausage. And they were significantly smaller than their hatch mates. The one I culled early had three days of a steady decline until it was clear that she wasn’t going to survive to even a salvageable sausage bird size. She would have passed within a day or two of when I culled her even with separating her for feeding so she could get some, and carefully cleaning her backend to prevent her getting stoppered up. I think the lack of tailbone causes difficulties pooping clear of the bums.

I’m not sure how much if any of the tailbone/spine is there on tailless vs. the one pictured after processing, but you can clearly see he was missing several vertebrae above his oil gland, which was also missing (not cut out at the abattoir... all of this batch came with necks attached, oil glands, and testicles, it was a very heavy day at the abattoir, and they knew our birds were going for sausage and needed minimal attention to detail in that regard).

Thanks for the photos

I hope she will be healthy for years like Tailless.

So far its just her dirty bald butt thats a concern. Else she is very alert, energetic and eats and drinks and "fights" like the best of them.

I won't be breeding or selling her either -so there is no worry about that.

I like rumpless birds too. Even searched for a breeder in Australia but my search skills weren't so great. I'm fairly certain her "strain" of rumpless-ness is actually a random mutation too and not hereditary.

Well, my surviving girl has found her way into my heart, for sure! Just be aware that you can have issues and it may become necessary to Cull her if quality of life becomes an issue. From what I have heard from my Australian Chicken friends here, the Auracana’s there are not Rumpless like the ones here in North America. Best of luck to you, and I hope she lives a long and happy, and fairly clean bottomed life with you. I had no idea that some people consider this to be a desirable trait.

Finally able to transfer the image from my phone. Im computer savvy but phones... nope.

I had to hold her wings because they blocked the camera view. She's also a little dirty still after the wash (I ended up taking her back to the basin for another clean after the photo)

As you can see total tailless chick (either that or something else is wrong). I am finding I only have to clean her bum once a day now though. She's keeping it cleaner or her broodmates are - however I dont see them pecking her bare bottom.

As soon as I see deterioration of her life quality I will take the proper steps but for now, she's no different to any other chicks I had.

Attachments

• dirty cutlas.jpeg
    dirty cutlas.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 13
I think she should be all fine. Being tailless should not impact her at all. Honestly I find them pretty cute. Although is the purple color under her vent normal? It's been a few years since I've had chicks so I'm not too sure on that.

hmm I actually didn't think that was not normal. She's had that purple skin from birth - she also has little smuts of purple skin over her body and under her eyes, just a tiny little dot.

Per the photo attached. I thought it was her colour - does purple skin on the bottom half of their behind mean anything?

Attachments

• cutlas face.jpeg
    cutlas face.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 13
hmm I actually didn't think that was not normal. She's had that purple skin from birth - she also has little smuts of purple skin over her body and under her eyes, just a tiny little dot.

Per the photo attached. I thought it was her colour - does purple skin on the bottom half of their behind mean anything?
I think if she had purple skin since birth then it should be okay. If she has it all over her body then she should be fine. I was just wondering

Back
Top Bottom