Rumpless...??

hunnybunny

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
NC
I bought a pair of chickens at a local poultry show. The man I bought them from told me they were bantam Araucanas. The hen is solid white, and the roo has red hackles and a blackish body. The roo is very young, maybe 3 months old. The hen is older.
I have never owned araucanas, so I didnt know much about them, just liked the looks of them with their little round rears.
Well, after I had them home for a day or two, the hen laid an egg. It wasnt blue or green, it was white....
So I then realized they wasnt Araucanas without laying colored eggs. I put the egg in the incubator as I had just started a batch that day. I was curious to see if it was fertile from her previous home. I checked it after a week and saw that it had begun developing, but had died. She has laid other eggs since, but they are infertile now as this roo isnt old enough to breed yet.
I did some research on the internet and learned that the Araucana gene is dominant, so even if they were a cross of an Araucana they would still lay colored eggs, and also have bluish legs. Their legs are not.... the hens is more whitish gray and the roos is yellow.

What in the world ARE these birds??? I didnt know of any other rumpless chicken breeds. They definitely dont have Araucana in them or they would have some of these characteristics. Anybody know?

23025_hollie_middle_school_dance_006.jpg

Last edited:
They look like Araucanas to me. . . What color skin do they have? And are that white ones' legs yellow or pink? They look pink.

How old are they? Because if they're much older, then that just means their blue, khaki, or green eggs just plain went really pale through the ages.

There is no "Araucana gene" - Do you mean the rumpless gene?

Well, from what I read, the Araucanas/ Ameraucanas- when crossed with anything, the colored egg thing passes to them. What I meant about the "Araucana gene" was how they pass on the blue/ green legs and tinted eggs.
So I thought if they were even a cross, they would still lay a colored egg. Her eggs are as white as snow. Her legs look whitish gray, (but in the sun they looked different.) Probably used to be pink, but she is a older hen, and may have faded out. She looks to be quite older, as she has flaky looking legs and little spurs like older hens sometimes get. The roos legs are bright yellow. He is still young as he is smaller and still acts like a chick sometimes, and no crowing yet.

The genes for blue eggs and rumplessness are dominant. So if you crossed an Auraucana with a leghorn, you could get a rumpless blue-egg layer that had one blue-egg gene and one white-egg gene. If you crossed these together or back to the leghorn, if the cross passed the white-egg gene, you could get a rumpless white-egg layer. I didn't go into leg color here, but you see how complicated it can get.

They should have pea combs if they are true Araucanas. The little roos looks like its a single comb. Cant really tell about the hens comb. They do look like araucanas though. Also, since the blue egg gene is close to the pea comb gene, if the hen doesn't have a pea comb that may explain why she doesnt lay a colored egg.

Well, no matter what they are, I'm gonna keep them. They are very friendly and cute little chickens. But I was so hoping they were Araucanas. (but without the colored egg, I guess they are not.....)
sad.png

They're very cute, whatever they are! My guess would be araucana crossed with something else, or if you're lucky, perhaps manx rumpie or manx rumpie crosses.
smile.png

As a note, fertility does not tend to be great in rumpless breeds.

Back
Top Bottom