Run clean out?

David what is 13.3 Permethrin? New to chickens.
it is insecticide , non toxic , spray on dogs, goats, race horses, cattle, in the barn, coop, your house. it kills most anything but you mix it to what you are treating. lice and mites on chickens. mix and spray birds.
flies around you coop? not anymore. mix for black fly and it works for 4 to 6 week.
roaches, gone, i was over run by big black palmetto roaches in the garage where recycle cans are stored. It hammered them like Thor.
ants i haven't used yet.
I have never had mites or lice and i spray the nest boxes and roost every other month or more. If its been to wet and not much dust for dust baths for a few weeks i give the girls a little squirt just because. you don't have to with hold eggs. I don't use the permethrin 10. Its not really the same or not for the same use or results .
Martins permethrin 13.3 has worked great for me.
just read the mixing rate for application that comes with it. 1/2oz to 1 1/2 oz per gallon . best $ buy is the 32oz for $24.99. That last a long time but i'm spraying my daughters yard as well for mosquitoes and fleas.

In case it helps to share different experiences, I have a similar set-up to you with a covered run exposed to the elements on the sides (hardware cloth).
For litter in the coop and in the run I use leaves which I rake up in the Fall and the pile lasts me the best part of a year. I am on a hill so if I tip leaves into the coop the ladies naturally move it down hill and eventually into the run without much of a helping hand from me.
I intend to clean it out if it needs it (if it ever starts to smell) but it hasn't in over a year so somehow I never get around to it.
Every now and then I cart away a wheelbarrow-full of litter, but that is more because I want it as fertilizer for the garden than because I am cleaning the run. I like to leave it on the garden beds for several months before I grow anything in it just so the fresher poop rots down. So probably if there is a nice day next month I will grab a barrow full in preparation for spring.
Hope that helps.

10% permethrin vs 13.3% permethrin

Just a stronger mix.
well stronger or not ten is used in other applications. somewhere when reading about the difference between the two, 10 was not recommend for flying insects but for use in insects in the ground. also saw some reviews of the 10 not getting the job done on mites. I'll stay with 13.3.

@Kaesi2020
We use wood chips. They've been in the run since June and all I have to do is rake and turn over once every few weeks. Not because it smells but because it looks bad and bothers me. Lol

@aart
How often do you add more? We were debating to add more this past fall but decided to wait until spring. I'm not sure I'm happy with our decision.

@aart
How often do you add more? We were debating to add more this past fall but decided to wait until spring. I'm not sure I'm happy with our decision.
When there's more dirt showing than bedding.
I did that one year, now I try to add in late fall.
If the ground isn't frozen solid and there's no snow removal to deal with, you can add some now. Otherwise just add once snowmelt/thaw(and the spring stink) begins.

I just took 12-15 wheel barrels of beautiful black soil out of my run for the garden and flower beds Monday. I raked a few of the bigger chip off the top 2" but most of what was in the run had been eaten to fine soil. I dumped the tractor bin 12 times with new chips. you can see the new next to the old.

Attachments

• IMG_1735.JPG
    IMG_1735.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1741 (1).jpg
    IMG_1741 (1).jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1729.JPG
    IMG_1729.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1728.JPG
    IMG_1728.JPG