Run & Coop along (a sequel to my other thread)

I don't see any frost bite actually.
I don't either.
1639925479028.png

i'm trying to think of what to fill the walls in with, that's not wood
You could use hardware cloth (keeps out predators) and tarp (keeps out the wind, rain, snow, etc.)

Layer the tarp over the hardware cloth, and fasten it securely on all edges so it cannot flap around. Depending on how much wind you get, there's a good chance it'll last through the worst of the winter. Then you can take the tarp off for next summer (so the wind can come in and keep the chickens cool), and put on a new tarp for the next winter.

i think i just might rehome them all.. even though i'd hate that so much, it's probably best for them. i think i'm going to start fresh.. but my brother (who owns half the flock) says the coop is big enough and their fine with their frostbitten combs and future bumblefoot. he knows nothing...

somehow he owns half, but i paid for their brooder, food, i rake out the poop, i clip their wings, etc.. i don't get it.. and i think its absolutely horrible and stupid, but how do i help it?!

One possible way to deal with your brother & his chickens:
--arrange to rehome your chickens
--announce that you will not provide ANY more care or supplies for HIS chickens
--ask if he wants to rehome his chickens too, or care for them himself

If he does not want to rehome his chickens, I would suggest you not do ANYTHING for them. If you just step in and take care of them anyway, nothing much will change. He will continue to think that chickens only "need" the care he is willing to provide, and he will probably not notice what you are doing to help.

If he starts to notice a problem (chickens not laying eggs, or chickens that die), you could again suggest re-homing his chickens too. (You might volunteer to do that for him, since it's a one-time thing.)

Note, this idea is meant to help your chickens and you. It will probably NOT be good for your brother's chickens. The only benefit to them will be the extra space (because they won't be sharing with your chickens).

Here's a frost bitten comb and wattles. Notice the tips are black, and there's almost a definite "barrier" between the healthy tissue and the damaged tissue. It's caused by moisture clinging to the comb during the tissue. The black is dead, and will fall off. The purple can still go either way
20211219_110002.jpg

Here's one of the coops. Obviously not the prettiest, but it works and it keeps them dry and out of the wind.
20211219_104047.jpg

Attachments

• 20211219_104047.jpg
    20211219_104047.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 1
You could use hardware cloth (keeps out predators) and tarp (keeps out the wind, rain, snow, etc.)

Layer the tarp over the hardware cloth, and fasten it securely on all edges so it cannot flap around. Depending on how much wind you get, there's a good chance it'll last through the worst of the winter. Then you can take the tarp off for next summer (so the wind can come in and keep the chickens cool), and put on a new tarp for the next winter.

If he does not want to rehome his chickens, I would suggest you not do ANYTHING for them. If you just step in and take care of them anyway, nothing much will change. He will continue to think that chickens only "need" the care he is willing to provide, and he will probably not notice what you are doing to help.

If he starts to notice a problem (chickens not laying eggs, or chickens that die), you could again suggest re-homing his chickens too. (You might volunteer to do that for him, since it's a one-time thing.)

Note, this idea is meant to help your chickens and you. It will probably NOT be good for your brother's chickens. The only benefit to them will be the extra space (because they won't be sharing with your chickens).
this week i got 50 mile an hour gusts. that destroyed our last tarp

this week i got 50 mile an hour gusts. that destroyed our last tarp

If you lay a board over the tarp on each edge, and screw or nail through that into a board underneath, the tarp will survive fairly heavy winds because there is no edge to start flapping, pulling loose, and ripping.

But that is a lot more bother to set up, and a lot more bother to replace, than most other ways of securing tarps. (And I cannot guarantee it will work in your situation, either. The best I can say for it is "maybe.")

With that much wind, you might do better with something sturdier than tarp.

this is exactly what should be done.

no one enjoys seeing an animal suffer but if you keep caring for his birds you’re enabling his habit of being a terrible pet owner. if and when they eventually die, it’s his fault and not yours.

with all that being said, STILL nothing has been done to rectify what’s going on with your chickens despite nothing but good advice from everyone on here. so, until you take action to better things for your bird, you lack a leg to stand on when you call your brother irresponsible.

keep in mind, you post on here an awful lot for someone who claims they have “no time”

Back
Top Bottom