Run covered with welded utility wire and ice storms............

Country4ever

Songster
12 Years
Oct 26, 2007
Hi all,
Because of a coon attack, we decided that maybe the topflight and bird netting on top of our substantial 16'x21' run wasn't enough. Today DH and I covered the top with 14 gauge welded utility wire on top of the netting.
The perimeter of the run has cedar 4x4's which are connected to each other and 2 extra 4x4 posts in the middle of the run with 2x4's. The one end is anchored to the coop.
As we were admiring how great a job we did and how much more secure it would be......my mind wandered to the ice storms we get here in the midwest. I haven't had too much trouble with ice overwhelming the netting. If it snows alot, I go out and knock it through the netting.
Do you any of you in ice-storm country have a large run covered with this 2"x4" welded wire? Have you had any trouble with ice build up on it to the point of collapse?
sad.png

I'm thinking maybe we need to support it better........but then there will be so many supports the chickens will be constantly running into them!
Just curious about your experience.
Thanks.

My pens are surrounded by hardware wire and topped with 2x4 galvanized livestock fencing. Held up fine against the last ice storm. See pictures below.

chickens99a.jpg

chickens03.jpg

chickens09.jpg

Last edited:
Great set-ups you two!
That's quite an ice storm. I think every tree on our 33 acres has been damaged by ice storms.
Here's a pic of my set-up. The run is tall and big and I do worry about the weight of the top. Hopefully, its stronger than I think.
In winter, I do go out and shake things up so the snow will fall through, but an ice storm is different.
IMG11.jpg

You can't see it, but there are 2 4x4 posts inside the run, and 2x4's from them to the sides, back and the coop. I'm not sure I'm explaining this well, but the top fencing does have support. I was afraid that might not be enough in an ice storm.
Those 2 center 4x4's are 1/3rd and 2/3rds of the way in the run, so the weight is distributed fairly well across the whole frame.

I think it should be fine, but its hard to say. I know with 2x4 welded wire there isnt really enough for ice to hold on to. Mine holds up fine but my pens arent as large as yours. Ive got a 8ft by 10ft pen, which has two 4ft by 10ft panels of welded wire with a two by four for support in the center. The other pen is 4ft by 8ft.

Thanks Scott,
I'm glad those big tree branches didn't fall on your coop! We've had several bad ice storms here in the last 18 years, and those broken limbs sure add up! We had something like 12 huge brush piles from one ice storm, and nobody would shred them for us.......so off to the field they went. The wildlife really like those piles though.
Monk.......is that a tin roof? We've added a front porch-type area in the front of the coop for storage, and I'm tired of using tarps. They are always shredding. I think I need a roof like yours instead.

Country4ever, It is ,Ondura, 79" Corregated Roof Panels. They are kinda like reenforced thick tar paper and is easy to work with. I picked it up at Lowes for $20 a sheet. I think tin would better but it was for a coop and I am cheap.
Our winters here can be harsh so I covered the run and pitched it to shed the snow. I also will be placing some kinda panels(plywood or ???) at the west and north ends to provide the birds with an area outside without knee-deep snow.

Back
Top Bottom