Run door question

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
I’m working on new runs for my chickens and ducks and each one has a human-sized door that I can enter and exit. I’ll be skirting hardware cloth around the perimeter of the run and covering that with rocks and logs from a big tree that fell, but what’s a good way to protect the area where the door is? The best thing I can come up with is to place cement blocks in front and move them every time I go into it? Our neighborhood Fox family is my biggest concern.

I’m working on new runs for my chickens and ducks and each one has a human-sized door that I can enter and exit. I’ll be skirting hardware cloth around the perimeter of the run and covering that with rocks and logs from a big tree that fell, but what’s a good way to protect the area where the door is? The best thing I can come up with is to place cement blocks in front and move them every time I go into it? Our neighborhood Fox family is my biggest concern.
Can you please post pictures of your run?

The door does fit snugly. I’m mostly worried about something digging under it.

Sorry, I don’t have pictures. It’s still a work in progress.

If the door is framed, you can attach the apron to the frame, not the door.
man door.jpg

I ran my apron on the ground, including in front of the run door. The apron is covered with mulch. I placed cap blocks inside the run, so the door was up against them, when closed. You can't see them to good, because the chickens had mulch on top of them. I had predators dig along the apron but no problems with them getting inside.

Chicks in run.jpg

So, is the apron on its own enough? I assumed it needed to have something on top of it (dirt, rocks, etc. - I'm using big tree logs and rocks). I'm not new to chickens, but I'm new to this type of run. My last flock free ranged and had a very small run that they basically only used when they were waiting for me to wake up!

Back
Top Bottom