Run Enrichment Ideas

I thought of a few other things ours enjoy when stuck in the run: Potted herbs to pick through, mostly eaten corn cobs, heads of cabbage and sprouted lentils are fun in the winter as treats/boredom busters - anything they can pick at.

Maybe some small tires, small shrubs, things (safely) leaned against the sides to break up the scenery. I saw someone do a tunnel, built out of what, i am not sure, but I thought that was a fun idea.

If you have the space, install a dig box! We made ours out of pine 2x6s and planter wall blocks. It's full of mulch, peat moss, and herbs. We throw in scratch grains, sprouts, weeds, etc... so there's always something to find. They also use it for dust bathing, and love to perch on the edge.

Frame-27-09-2023-11-18-49.jpeg

If you have the space, install a dig box! We made ours out of pine 2x6s and planter wall blocks. It's full of mulch, peat moss, and herbs. We throw in scratch grains, sprouts, weeds, etc... so there's always something to find. They also use it for dust bathing, and love to perch on the edge.
What a fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing, and for the picture.

In the winter when birds stay in the run due to weather, I will throw in a flake of Alfalfa hay. (3 strand which is mainly leaves, few stems). They will spend hours, even days scratching for leaves and seeds. Alfalfa is high in protein, vitamins, minerals and trace components they can't get from their feed. I also use a big mirror, (chickens love to look at themselves) ladders and stumps for levels to hop up on. Hanging cabbage or apples are a hit too.

Alright everyone, show me your ideas for run enrichment!

I have a split coop with a split run (each side is 4 feet by 20 feet) for a flock of silkies only, so they don’t really roost. We just built it this year so it’s our first winter with it.

Right now they get supervised free range time to stave off boredom but with the cold and snow coming (I’m in Ontario, Canada) that will have to be paused eventually. We will be wrapping the run so they can continue to use it as the temps drop and snow comes.

So, what kinds of things can be added to the run to keep them entertained through the winter months (and beyond)?

View attachment 3645964
View attachment 3645965
View attachment 3645966
Benches! My chickens love the bench I gave them it’s short so even my silkies can join in! I just used a board and bricks. By the way I just love your silkies!!!

Attachments

• 92A39A44-E768-47C1-B5A9-FEA3E7B65CBC.jpeg
    92A39A44-E768-47C1-B5A9-FEA3E7B65CBC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • E2BFA06F-EEFF-4C2A-B2C6-A1BB659C80F0.jpeg
    E2BFA06F-EEFF-4C2A-B2C6-A1BB659C80F0.jpeg
    679.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 933B6D33-E647-4783-95B5-F70FED5262B1.jpeg
    933B6D33-E647-4783-95B5-F70FED5262B1.jpeg
    870.1 KB · Views: 20
This makes me think I need to invest in live mealworms, crickets etc, in the winter. Not just the fried stuff. Give them something to chase after!
We get ours delivered to the house each week. I have a silkie named Rose and when she sees that red and white box she’s all business. They ship them with egg carton pieces for layers. I put one of the egg carton pieces in the run and she just waits for them to come crawling out. Also for the ones that get away they’ll storm up later when I flip over the logs I have in there. And I have logs that are cut to look like stumps in the ground. About 3 inches. She can hop up on those. She does perch but after some experimentation only likes a 2x4 and there has to be a ramp for her or has to be no more than 3 inches off the ground. Silkies just have a flatter type of body that doesn’t move like most chickens 🤣

We get ours delivered to the house each week. I have a silkie named Rose and when she sees that red and white box she’s all business. They ship them with egg carton pieces for layers. I put one of the egg carton pieces in the run and she just waits for them to come crawling out. Also for the ones that get away they’ll storm up later when I flip over the logs I have in there. And I have logs that are cut to look like stumps in the ground. About 3 inches. She can hop up on those. She does perch but after some experimentation only likes a 2x4 and there has to be a ramp for her or has to be no more than 3 inches off the ground. Silkies just have a flatter type of body that doesn’t move like most chickens 🤣
Where do you get them delivered from? That’s such a good idea!!

Alright everyone, show me your ideas for run enrichment!

I have a split coop with a split run (each side is 4 feet by 20 feet) for a flock of silkies only, so they don’t really roost. We just built it this year so it’s our first winter with it.

Right now they get supervised free range time to stave off boredom but with the cold and snow coming (I’m in Ontario, Canada) that will have to be paused eventually. We will be wrapping the run so they can continue to use it as the temps drop and snow comes.

So, what kinds of things can be added to the run to keep them entertained through the winter months (and beyond)?

View attachment 3645964
View attachment 3645965
View attachment 3645966
What did you use in your run for the floor

Back
Top Bottom