Run Enrichment Ideas

My silkies as well as my other hens love dust bathing, no matter the weather. Enrichment/entertainment wise, children's xylophones secured to a surface are very entertaining for my chickens, they have learned to be quite the band with their beaks. Colorful, noise making bird toys are always a good investment, as well as hanging fruits and veggies such a cabbages for them to peck and snack on.

Colorful, noise making bird toys are always a good investment,
Around Christmas 2020, I got some large jingle bells that were red, silver, and green. Shiny! Sparkly! Jingly!

The chickens totally ignored them. :gig

I'm going to put them out again this year and see if the pullets might give them a peck or two.

Around Christmas 2020, I got some large jingle bells that were red, silver, and green. Shiny! Sparkly! Jingly!

The chickens totally ignored them. :gig

I'm going to put them out again this year and see if the pullets might give them a peck or two.
Same!
We hung sparkly/crackly balls (cat toys) from the ceiling when our chicks were pullets; they just gave us the stink eye like "we're too old for toys, human" :lau

Right now just dirt (was grass for about 12 seconds lol). I will likely go to construction sand in the spring.
I have an old truck tire filled with dry dirt for dustbathing or hanging out on.. They love hiding places - an old worktable in the back corner & wrapped three sides of the underneath in black garden cloth - sometimes there's 8-10 of them under there! In fall I dig up some of my garden plants when I'm done with, put them in a pot and leave it in the pen for them - brussells sprouts and brocolli are great for this - after you're done with the heads - they love the leaves and they're tall, so as they get through the lower leaves I set a milk crate beside it for them to get to the next section. Winter is a little rougher - but I find anything new I put in the pen usually peaks their interest and when I have nothing new, I mive stuff around - they're just as intrigued lol.

Back
Top Bottom