Run Enrichment Ideas

Elliemae1984

Songster
Sep 9, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Alright everyone, show me your ideas for run enrichment!

I have a split coop with a split run (each side is 4 feet by 20 feet) for a flock of silkies only, so they don’t really roost. We just built it this year so it’s our first winter with it.

Right now they get supervised free range time to stave off boredom but with the cold and snow coming (I’m in Ontario, Canada) that will have to be paused eventually. We will be wrapping the run so they can continue to use it as the temps drop and snow comes.

So, what kinds of things can be added to the run to keep them entertained through the winter months (and beyond)?

IMG_1051.jpeg
IMG_1053.jpeg
IMG_1054.jpeg

Well, then lay the branch on the ground, find one that has a shape that will keep it from rolling.
Why don’t they roost? Because they’re Silkies? Or young? My bantam EE youngsters have been flying up 3 1/2 ft to reach that branch since they were a month old…now, at 2 months, they can easily fly up onto the roof of their coop which is over 5’ high…..I see them eyeing the trees outside of their covered run.
I’m assuming because they’re silkies. My 3 adults have never roosted either. Pretty common with silkies to sleep in cuddle puddles instead of roosting the night.

I have 4 chicks in with my adults and when the chicks were very small they would perch max 9 inches off the floor during the day, but still slept in a cuddle puddle. Once their crests started filling out they stopped even perching temporarily. I’m assuming it’s because their crests stop them from “seeing up” but that’s a total guess.

Back
Top Bottom