1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

run floor "grass cuttings" - need a quick answer please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by leos-mama, Apr 13, 2011.

1. leos-mama

leos-mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Hi can anyone tell me, I have bark chips on the floor of my coop but they are about ready for a top up and my local places are out at the minute. I am still proofing my garden so the girls cant range free (only 2 are allowed out at the minute as the rest all vanish into neighbouring gardens through the privot hedge, the 2 allowed out follow me or my boys everywhere - even try to follow me into the house). I am doing the first grass cut of the year tommorow and wondered would they like some fresh grass cuttings in the base of the run - is this harmful or a welcome treat?

2. easteregger96

easteregger96 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Greene County
    I have always given mine grass cuttings and as far as I can tell, it didn't hurt them at all. I don't see anything wrong with it. Someone else may have a different opinion though. Mine have always loved it. I do that in the warmer months when they can't free range( because of the garden) so that they still get their greens other than what comes out of the house.

3. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    As long as the grass has not been treated with anything. My girls love grass clippings

4. Bobby Joe

Bobby Joe Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2010
    tupelo,ms
    They will love it, mine do anyway. I have mowed 2 times this year and I make a few runs with the mower then blow the grass from around that spot into a pile ,rake it up and give it to the chickens .....Free treats

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    The only other issue I can think of is the possibility of impaction if the cut blades of grass are long. Since the other end of the blade of grass isn't attached to anything anymore, they can't nip off bits of it like they would when grazing, but have to sort of slurp up the whole thing, I guess. A lot of long strands of grass could get balled up in the crop. It's a similar issue giving hay, I think.

It can't be that much of a risk, I wouldn't think.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I give my girls grass clippings that I cut with my lawn scissors, but I make sure they are short to prevent impacted crop.

Also, I often dig up squares of sod (grass) and put it in the run like a pizza. They chow down. Then I fill the hole with chicken poo so no one trips.

7. leos-mama

leos-mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Fab, thanks everyone I gave it a go and was like a "hen party" they loved it!!! I have let them out a few times now as well so I dont feel so mean at them been couped up. As I style my garden I think I might have to try the chicken salad bars I have looked at on here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by