Run floor

mldlm

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
Northeast Florida
I currently have a chicken run that is attached to the coop (a converted shed). The run is 8 x 14’ and my six girls enjoy the run most of the day except or go into the coop to eat or lay their eggs. It USED to have grass, but is just barren earth now…can you imagine???lol Anyhow, I am looking for replacement dirt for the run. What is the best type? I love the dirt for ease of cleaning with a makeshift scoop. I have heard of River sand, but I am having a hard time finding it. Could it possibly go by another name? I also saw that somebody mentioned pea gravel, but I really like the dirt so they can scratch away. Thanks!

Attachments

• E657E129-27B6-4037-B972-FF81E345994F.jpeg
    E657E129-27B6-4037-B972-FF81E345994F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 41
People who are happy with sand in their runs over the long term *generally* live in a dry climate and/or have a well-covered run that doesn't allow rain to get in.

I'm a fan of Deep Litter -- piling up layers of dry organic material that will compost together with the poop and neutralize it. :)

Why do you want to replace the dirt? My run is dirt but I don't replace it. If I knew your problem I'd feel better about responding.

Also, in NE Florida, what type of soil is your dirt? Sand, clay, or something else.
It is sandy. I don’t want to replace it. I am loving the dirt, as it makes for easy cleanup. However, over time, due to rain, chickens trying to dig to China :), and the rains here, I need to add more dirt from time to time. Just wanted to make sure I replace with stuff that is good for them. I have heard a lot about different kinds of sands and it is confusing. Thanks 😊

It is sandy. I don’t want to replace it. I am loving the dirt, as it makes for easy cleanup. However, over time, due to rain, chickens trying to dig to China :), and the rains here, I need to add more dirt from time to time. Just wanted to make sure I replace with stuff that is good for them. I have heard a lot about different kinds of sands and it is confusing. Thanks 😊
You may like to use sand then.

Is there dirt elsewhere in your yard that you could dig up and move over? Since it sounds like whatever natural substrate you already have works for you, the best replacement would be more of the same.

Back
Top Bottom