Run light

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
I’m wondering if anyone else uses a light in their run so the chickens get more outdoor time. With winter quickly approaching here in jersey, it starting to get dark very early. We installed a light in the run, that we turn on when it’s just about dusk so the chickens can stay out longer. Is there any negative thoughts on this?

I'm not sure if it has any negative effects, but it sure is creative!
I've only seen people putting a light inside the coop to increase egg production in winter.
Is that what you were going for? (+ eggs)

I've only seen people putting a light inside the coop to increase egg production in winter.
Honestly, yes and no. We installed a no heat light into the coop so there’s light for us when we clean it out (we get home when it’s just turning dark). And the chickens always want to go inside while we’re trying to clean it. We also fill their water and food in the run at night and it was getting to be a “i can’t find the stupid flashlight”😂…. so my boyfriend installed basically flood lights into the run, so it’s easier for us when we fill their food and so they have a little bit more “daylight” to stay out. I’m hoping it will help the egg production in the winter considering it gets dark very early here😭

I just figured i would show you what the light looks like. Right now it’s dark out and the hens are still outside

Attachments

• E6F227B0-AA6F-4B88-802C-813FE9F43C29.jpeg
    E6F227B0-AA6F-4B88-802C-813FE9F43C29.jpeg
    475.9 KB · Views: 3
  • A385C99B-72C7-414C-8351-B15BEC302D2C.jpeg
    A385C99B-72C7-414C-8351-B15BEC302D2C.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 565525A8-C85B-4756-AB5C-EB4DF28647EF.jpeg
    565525A8-C85B-4756-AB5C-EB4DF28647EF.jpeg
    799.7 KB · Views: 2
I use a run light but not for them. It's so I can see what I am doing at 5 am when I need to tend things in the dark before work.

I like my gals to have winter off if they need it.
It won’t be used all the time. They just get let out late in the morning and i feel they don’t have enough time outside that’s also why we did it.

It won’t be used all the time. They just get let out late in the morning and i feel they don’t have enough time outside that’s also why we did it.

I don't see any negative to using the light......I suppose if they start acting up/arguing with each other you will see and can make adjustments.

I don't see any negative to using the light......I suppose if they start acting up/arguing with each other you will see and can make adjustments.
I figured someone on here would come at me for “fire hazard” 😂 but i guess really anything electrical could be a fire hazard

I figured someone on here would come at me for “fire hazard” 😂 but i guess really anything electrical could be a fire hazard
:confused:
Mine is direct wired....

I don't see extension cords in your pics.

Heat lamps are a real fire hazard due to the heat they produce and the really unsafe clips the fixture comes with.

The only thing I would caution about is that they are essentially blind in the dark, so if the light suddenly went off while they're out and about, that would be a problem. That's why they go to their roost at dusk.

I used a string of LED Christmas lights in my run last year. They still went to bed at dusk, so it wasn't enough to keep them up. Or make them lay; even though Australorps are known to lay through their first winter, they took it off.

Back
Top Bottom