Run on a slope?

atlanticchicks

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2017
Where we live is all hills. I was looking today where we could put a coop and run and there is no flat ground! I know the coop will need to be level and can deal with that, fencing etc, but I was wondering is it okay to have the run on a slope? Will the chickens not bother going down it and therefore making it bigger downhill is a waste of time? Or will they go down the bottom and not be able to/want to get back up?
Everywhere I see has chickens on flat land.

Living_Legend

Songster
Jan 3, 2018
Freeland, MD
My Coop
My Coop
Where we live is all hills. I was looking today where we could put a coop and run and there is no flat ground! I know the coop will need to be level and can deal with that, fencing etc, but I was wondering is it okay to have the run on a slope? Will the chickens not bother going down it and therefore making it bigger downhill is a waste of time? Or will they go down the bottom and not be able to/want to get back up?
Everywhere I see has chickens on flat land.
Completely fine. You don't see it because I am sure its harder to build and make Predator proof.

cholland

Songster
5 Years
Jan 17, 2017
California
They do fine. Mine are on a slope. I have logs and large branches going across the slope to help keep things in place. Whatever you put in there will end up at the bottom.

PollosMama

Chirping
Mar 4, 2018
Waynesville, NC
We have a run on a sideways slope. Here's a picture of the beginning of building. They don't seem to mind.
20180317_180209.jpg

FatCat99

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2021
Darien, CT
Responding to an old thread but since thought it may give idea to others looking, here’s pic of mine. If you don’t add some form of terracing on a slope the chickens will pick the ground clean and will have issues with erosion. I terraced the run into 8 foot sections (length of landscape timbers), Lowe’s has a good video online for simple garden terracing. I did use a deadman on the lowest wall as it is more than 2 timber’s high. I wanted to keep the total height as close as possible to the stone wall behind so I lowered height at top as well. The underside of coop is also enclosed which added some more run area as well.
2B5742CB-B042-42B1-8FF5-BEEDF571BBAA.jpeg

16 paws

Songster
9 Years
Aug 14, 2012
North San Diego County, Vista, Ca.
Here is a pic of my slope and 3 coops. The run is behind the coops running all along the chain link fence with aviary netting overhead. A bobcat tried to get them once and he just bounced off the netting, freaked him out and I have never seen another one try it!:wee

Attachments

• slope coop.jpg
    slope coop.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 7
  • slope coop 2.jpg
    slope coop 2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 6

Top Bottom