Run on a slope?

atlanticchicks

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2017
Where we live is all hills. I was looking today where we could put a coop and run and there is no flat ground! I know the coop will need to be level and can deal with that, fencing etc, but I was wondering is it okay to have the run on a slope? Will the chickens not bother going down it and therefore making it bigger downhill is a waste of time? Or will they go down the bottom and not be able to/want to get back up?
Everywhere I see has chickens on flat land.

Where we live is all hills. I was looking today where we could put a coop and run and there is no flat ground! I know the coop will need to be level and can deal with that, fencing etc, but I was wondering is it okay to have the run on a slope? Will the chickens not bother going down it and therefore making it bigger downhill is a waste of time? Or will they go down the bottom and not be able to/want to get back up?
Everywhere I see has chickens on flat land.
Completely fine. You don't see it because I am sure its harder to build and make Predator proof.

They do fine. Mine are on a slope. I have logs and large branches going across the slope to help keep things in place. Whatever you put in there will end up at the bottom.

We have a run on a sideways slope. Here's a picture of the beginning of building. They don't seem to mind.
20180317_180209.jpg

Responding to an old thread but since thought it may give idea to others looking, here’s pic of mine. If you don’t add some form of terracing on a slope the chickens will pick the ground clean and will have issues with erosion. I terraced the run into 8 foot sections (length of landscape timbers), Lowe’s has a good video online for simple garden terracing. I did use a deadman on the lowest wall as it is more than 2 timber’s high. I wanted to keep the total height as close as possible to the stone wall behind so I lowered height at top as well. The underside of coop is also enclosed which added some more run area as well.
2B5742CB-B042-42B1-8FF5-BEEDF571BBAA.jpeg

Here is a pic of my slope and 3 coops. The run is behind the coops running all along the chain link fence with aviary netting overhead. A bobcat tried to get them once and he just bounced off the netting, freaked him out and I have never seen another one try it!:wee

Attachments

• slope coop.jpg
    slope coop.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 7
  • slope coop 2.jpg
    slope coop 2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom