Run protection in the winter?

Wallysgirls

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 11, 2018
Northern Wisconsin
Old man winter is creeping in fast here in northen Wi. Im thinking of putting wind screen/ privacy fencing up around my run. Just wondering if anyone has used this and how well it works. Im looking to keep the snow and wind from blowing in. My run is a decent size, so figured this would be more economical then buying plastic or something like that. This could be taken down and reused every year. Thoughts or suggestions please. Thanks.

I looked up the item,,, and think it will work well. It will slow down the wind sufficiently, and only allow very limited amount of dry snow thru.
I have never used it, and have no IDEA how strong the fabric is. (meaning,, will it be good for a few winters:idunno)
What I saw was 50 feet x 8 feet high for $42. Some offers were higher priced.
If you are somewhat more budget concerned, you can get these tarps to cover same 50 feet of linear fence for about $20.
harbor tarps.PNG

These would keep run more wind free, and precipitation from blowing thru sideways. Easy take down and storage when no longer needed in Spring.
Is your run covered on top by chance???
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I looked up the item,,, and think it will work well. It will slow down the wind sufficiently, and only allow very limited amount of dry snow thru.
I have never used it, and have no IDEA how strong the fabric is. (meaning,, will it be good for a few winters:idunno)
What I saw was 50 feet x 8 feet high for $42. Some offers were higher priced.
If you are somewhat more budget concerned, you can get these tarps to cover same 50 feet of linear fence for about $20.
View attachment 1955015
These would keep run more wind free, and precipitation from blowing thru sideways. Easy take down and storage when no longer needed in Spring.
Is your run covered on top by chance???
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
We are in the process of covering the run. It will have a metal roof. Supposed to get in the high 30's today. Heat wave!!. Weather is supposed to be record breaking cold this winter up here. Like last years polar vortex wasnt enough lol. Thanks I will look into the tarps. Mayb we can find some fairly clear tarps for a reasonable price.

I'm in sunny Central California, so coldest it gets is 30's here, but it does get pretty windy. No snow. I used shower curtains last year and they kept my run very dry and really cut the wind! Let in light, too. I spent under $20 for my entire 200ish sq ft run.

This year, I was planning to get corrugated plastic and reuse them yearly, but I may steal your idea, tbh. I don't know how well it will work in snowy conditions, but it I think it'd work well for me.

Sorry I don't have an answer, but I did want to thank you for the idea!
:)

We are in the process of covering the run. It will have a metal roof. Supposed to get in the high 30's today. Heat wave!!. Weather is supposed to be record breaking cold this winter up here. Like last years polar vortex wasnt enough lol. Thanks I will look into the tarps. Mayb we can find some fairly clear tarps for a reasonable price.
I did look at clear tarps, too. They are kinda pricey (imo, anyway), but if you can reuse them, they'd be great. Lots of ppl on BYC use them.

Looks good. All you need is a wind break. Use what ever you have. Back in the days of poor people a chicken coop and or run was a work of folk art. Cobbled together from what ever that could be used. Half of the materials i used in my coop and run were salvaged from other projects or regarded materials i got from friends that were headed to the landfill. I would recommend hanging out at the landfill to gather stuff if you know the guys.
I started gathering things almost a year ahead. The heavy mil plastic i used came from the new queen size mattress my dad ordered. It was vacuumed packed and doubled rapped. I knew it was going to be reused and put it away until just the other day. It's now stapled to the north side of my hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom