Run question... hardware cloth or welded wire?

camochick96

Songster
Apr 27, 2017
North TX
I have my coop completely done, now it's time for the run! I'm wondering if I should use hardware cloth or 4"x2" welded wire. The thing is it will have to be 6' tall, so if you know where I can find some please share! I've found some 4"x2" welded wire for $105 and I'm thinking that might be best as long as that wire will protect my chickens from predators well enough. So anyone have experience with welded wire? Or should I just try to find hardware cloth? Any help will be greatly appreciated! :frow

Last edited:
Welded wire holes are way too big. A racoon can pull and kill birds thru 1 inch chicken wire. They could just about get all the way in 2 in and 2 x 4 most predators can just go right thru. I use 1 inch wire for my birds, but they are locked securely in their coop about sunset which has half inch hardware cloth over all open areas and vents. Most people probably wouldn't recommend even this due to run being 1 inch wire, but most chicken predators in my area only come out at night and early morning. I open the coop around 9:30 am and then back up at night. I personally wouldn't use anything larger than 1 in and depending on set up would use hardware cloth if they have access to run at night. That being said most of those predatory animals will not climb over 3 ft of cloth or wire, but that is risky because if they can see food in there they will try their best to get at it.

Last edited:
Welded wire holes are way too big. A racoon can pull and kill birds thru 1 inch chicken wire. They could just about get all the way in 2 in and 2 x 4 most predators can just go right thru. I use 1 inch wire for my birds, but they are locked securely in their coop about sunset which has half inch hardware cloth over all open areas and vents. Most people probably wouldn't recommend even this due to run being 1 inch wire, but most chicken predators in my area only come out at night and early morning. I open the coop around 9:30 am and then back up at night. I personally wouldn't use anything smaller than 1 in and depending on set up would use hardware cloth if they have access to run at night. That being said most of those predatory animals will not climb over 3 ft of cloth or wire, but that is risky because if they can see food in there they will try their best to get at it.

Like you I choose to take an informed risk when it comes to the wire I use on my run - my assessment has been similar to yours, that the primary risk to my flock is in the overnight hours so I use the secured coop during those hours and poultry netting on the run. I've taken this approach with every coop/flock I've had through the years and *knock on wood* have had no issues to date.

You can wire 2 3 ft high pieces of hardware cloth or poultry wire together to make 6 ft or as I did staple each 3 foot piece to 3x2 boards the length of cloth, which gives it support also. They do make it up to 5ft most places but yes 6 ft is hard to find. Here's a link to 6ft 1in wire, which isn't ideal as I said before but much better than your alternative.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mat-1-Me...46015&wl11=online&wl12=21022943&wl13=&veh=sem

Welded wire holes are way too big. A racoon can pull and kill birds thru 1 inch chicken wire. They could just about get all the way in 2 in and 2 x 4 most predators can just go right thru. I use 1 inch wire for my birds, but they are locked securely in their coop about sunset which has half inch hardware cloth over all open areas and vents. Most people probably wouldn't recommend even this due to run being 1 inch wire, but most chicken predators in my area only come out at night and early morning. I open the coop around 9:30 am and then back up at night. I personally wouldn't use anything smaller than 1 in and depending on set up would use hardware cloth if they have access to run at night. That being said most of those predatory animals will not climb over 3 ft of cloth or wire, but that is risky because if they can see food in there they will try their best to get at it.

I plan on keeping my chickens in a routine of staying secured in the coop well before dark until mid morning.

Like you I choose to take an informed risk when it comes to the wire I use on my run - my assessment has been similar to yours, that the primary risk to my flock is in the overnight hours so I use the secured coop during those hours and poultry netting on the run. I've taken this approach with every coop/flock I've had through the years and *knock on wood* have had no issues to date.
Yes it works out best for me as I also have an open run with wire top so hardware cloth covering the whole run would be much too expensive for my budget. I put most of my money in creating secure coop for nighttime lockdown

Then you too could most likely use 1in Poultry wire in the run. Which does come in 6 ft height. Did you get link I sent for it? Of all places I believe it was at Wal-Mart online only
I found the link thank you! I'm going to look into prices and decide on hardware cloth or the 1" wire, I think putting them up at night will keep most the predators away!

Back
Top Bottom