Rick&Chris

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2018
Southeast PA (Bucks County)
A0A6DE58-5700-4D54-BD29-C543D8453750.jpeg
79F16AE8-1B4D-4A7B-AA93-4F4256083094.jpeg
1170C4AD-BE21-4F3F-8126-94208BEF3B2C.jpeg
I put wood chips in my covered run ... has been working well, but I really can't clean the poop from it. Should I just rake to turn it over (as I've been doing), add more, or add a different material on top like pine shavings, or take it out and put in sand?

Gosh, these girls are a LOT of work, LOL!

I use wood mulch in my run and I just rake poo under to decompose unless it gets real rainy and stinky (or if it's a huge broody poop, in which case I'll remove it manually like a dog turd because that smell is so terrible), then I'll scrape up a layer for the compost pile and lay down a fresh layer of mulch followed by a fresh layer of straw and sweet PDZ. Have noticed very little odor this way unless you get right up on the coop.

Can I sprinkle anything on top of it like PDZ or lime to control odor?
It has worked for me but my situation is way different from yours. I live in a dry arrid climate and use misters in the summer to cool down my birds. @aart I'm sure would suggest you adding more chips...he told me to get it like a forest floor

Beautiful coop! Did you buy it or build it? @aart could give you some advice here as he uses wood chips

Thanks! I love it!!! We bought it from a shed distributor near us. Cost a fortune, but we didn’t have the inclination to build. I have a hard enough time getting my husband to predator proof it (just got that done on Sunday) -
Him: “We aren’t working on the coop AGAIN this weekend, are we?”
Me: “Yes, yes we are!”
LOL, love it!

Still need to put up a more substantial fence - this is just bird netting. We added a 24” fence perimeter around the coop (on the ground attached with screws/washers and held down with tent type stakes) to keep the diggers out.

Last edited:
Thanks! I love it!!! We bought it from a shed distributor near us. Cost a fortune, but we didn’t have the inclination to build. I have a hard enough time getting my husband to predator proof it (just got that done on Sunday) - “We aren’t working on the coop AGAIN this weekend, are we?” LOL, love it!

If it cost a fortune, it was worth it because that's better-looking than anything I could possibly build from scratch for sure.

Back
Top Bottom