Run starting to get smelly (pee you) Help!

chickiewhite

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 1, 2009
The run looks OK but is starting to get smelly (we have had lot of rain lately). What is the best way to get rid of the smell? What types of cleaning products should I avoid (chemicals)?

I use something called stall dry, sprinkle it around the run, it is a mix of diametous earth (DE) and clay, most farm stores have it, and a little goes a long way-

How large is your run? If its small what the others suggested will work. If it is large as mine then no. Mine is 12x 48 feet. It is covered on top with wire. the best I can do is ditch the edges to increase water run off. I also put a gutter on the coop roof to prevent it from wetting the run more. If and when I can afford it I would love to put some sand on it. Till then I use sweet pdz and stall dry sprinkled around and hope the rain stops. The following is what not to do.!!!!!!! I tried a tarp but it broke my wire in. I punched holes in it and the run got wet again and also soured because the sun did not hit it. Small amts of sand disappeared in it. Grass hay got scratched to the very end of it and they play in it. Nothing up next to the coop to help with the damp. Sigh ... I can not get a dumptruck to the run and can not shovel the crush and run. Any more suggestion for a wet large run. chickens sure like to make me work too hard sometimes. but I do love them. gloria jean

The main problem is moisture. Thus anything you do to keep the run footing drier will give you less smell. See my 'fix a muddy run' page (link in .sig below), yes even if you do not have visible mud, b/c there are LOTS of things you can do to keep things drier.

If there is any organic material in there -- if you've used mulch or straw or leaves or other stuff like that in the run -- you will want to rake it out at this point, also, because as it breaks down, it holds moisture and poo starts to stink extra-much.

I would regard lime or stall powder as a temporary, one-off 'bandaid' while you fix the intrinsic problem(s), rather than using it as a major ongoing management tool.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Anything that improves drainage is key. I use Stable Boy powder in the coop sparingly and occasionally around the perimeter of my run and I gather cohesive droppings when possible. But we're roofed. If you can roof even a part of your run or install a platform for the birds, they stay much cleaner, but it isn't a practical solution for everyone. If the run is dry enough after a few changes, flat rocks or patio blocks are helpful - or a load of sand. Even raking to restore the slope away from the building will make a difference, and installing an eavestrough if you don't have one yet. We took our old Plastmo off the back of the house and used it on the barn when we renovated. The Plastmo isn't pristine anymore but it takes moisture away from the run area.

Back
Top Bottom