Run wall material??

sgtruglo

Songster
5 Years
Apr 22, 2018
New York
Hello everyone? Anyone have suggestions on what to use OR what to avoid for the chicken run walls? 6 chickens getting close to moving outside. We Plan on using treated lumber for the structure and clear roofing sheets for roof (for rain and snow seasons). I am confused one what to use for walls. Hardware cloth, welded wire, plastic woven cloth options, etc. what thickness or size is best? They will be able to free range most days, and have a coop to be locked up in at night.
Thank you in advance for posting!!

Depends on what predators you may be dealing with and what the predator load is.

If you really want to go for overkill, something like hardware cloth over larger opening welded wire or cattle panels or chain link) should do a good job deterring most larger and tinier predators/pests. If dealing with truly powerful predators (such as bears) then electric in addition to that would be something to consider.

My run is two 10x10 chain link dog kennels added together to make a 10x20 run. I wire tied 1/4x1/4 hardware cloth on the bottom 3 or 4 feet up however wide it was to keep long armed critters from reaching in.

Frankly if I didn't have the dog kennels to use what I would have done was use 2x4 welded wire and still tie the hardware cloth on the bottom.

I will say my coop stays open 24/7 so I built the main run bullet proof. I even covered the top under the tin in chain link. I do have a 20x30 just cheap "chicken wire" uncovered run on the front of my main run I let them out when I'm home. Since I spend 90% of my time in my shop and they are behind my shop I can easily grab my shotgun and take care of things. At night they are locked up in fort knox and have 0 access to the less secure area.

I will say my coop stays open 24/7 so I built the main run bullet proof. I even covered the top under the tin in chain link. I do have a 20x30 just cheap "chicken wire" uncovered run on the front of my main run I let them out when I'm home. Since I spend 90% of my time in my shop and they are behind my shop I can easily grab my shotgun and take care of things. At night they are locked up in fort knox and have 0 access to the less secure area.

That's another thing to consider - like my run isn't bulletproof (hardware cloth up the bottom few feet, chain link, then netting on top) but the set up is just in front of the living room, and I'm usually at home (and can hear any commotion outside). So I built it to resist predators, but not as a predator proof set up. At night everyone's inside the coop and the doors stay shut until it's almost time for me to get up.

That's another thing to consider - like my run isn't bulletproof (hardware cloth up the bottom few feet, chain link, then netting on top) but the set up is just in front of the living room, and I'm usually at home (and can hear any commotion outside). So I built it to resist predators, but not as a predator proof set up. At night everyone's inside the coop and the doors stay shut until it's almost time for me to get up.

Yeah I grew up with a granny that had dozens of free range chickens. She wasn't really worried about loosing one or 2 here and there. I knew I was only planning on having 12 but built my setup to have 24 (still only 12 layers as I only have 4 nesting boxes). When the girls start getting older and eggs slacking I'll have room for their replacements and won't have to worry about trying to house a 2nd flock. I can butcher as needed without having to take out all 12 at once.
Granny raised hers for meat and eggs so it wasn't nothing for us to kill one every few days. I really don't like chicken so I only plan on taking mine out until they end their useful egg laying, aint gonna waste them tho. Didn't spend all that money on feed for just eggs.

Depends on what predators you may be dealing with and what the predator load is.

If you really want to go for overkill, something like hardware cloth over larger opening welded wire or cattle panels or chain link) should do a good job deterring most larger and tinier predators/pests. If dealing with truly powerful predators (such as bears) then electric in addition to that would be something to consider.
Thank you! I should have mentioned we mainly deal with hawks and fox here.

My run is two 10x10 chain link dog kennels added together to make a 10x20 run. I wire tied 1/4x1/4 hardware cloth on the bottom 3 or 4 feet up however wide it was to keep long armed critters from reaching in.

Frankly if I didn't have the dog kennels to use what I would have done was use 2x4 welded wire and still tie the hardware cloth on the bottom.

Wow. Sounds like they are really secure. Thanks for the tips!

Hardware cloth, welded wire, plastic woven cloth options, etc. what thickness or size is best?
I should have mentioned we mainly deal with hawks and fox here.

I would avoid the plastic woven cloth. Most predators (probably including foxes) would be able to rip or tear through it. But if you ever need to divide the pen into sections, to keep some chickens apart from others, it could be a fine choice--chickens usually cannot get through it.

Chicken wire (hexagon shaped holes, usually fairly cheap, easy to bend, not very strong) might be a little stronger than the plastic woven cloth, but has the same problems. It will typically contain chickens, but most predators (probably including foxes) can rip it or chew it or bend it enough to get through.

Hardware cloth with 1/2" holes will keep most predators out, and will certainly keep chickens in. Just be sure you attach it firmly enough, because some predators (certainly raccoons or dogs, maybe foxes) can rip it loose if you just use staples to attach it.

Welded wire is usually stronger than hardware cloth, but you need to consider the size of the holes. 2" by 4" holes are common. That size will let baby chicks walk right out, some small predators can walk in, adult chickens can stick their heads out (and get grabbed by a predator), and some predators can reach in to grab chickens. Raccoons are the ones I hear most about, but they are not the only ones that can reach through.

Sometimes a combination works well, as several people suggested. A sturdy material with big holes (welded wire or chain link) often works well for the main material, and then the bottom few feet can be covered with a material that has smaller holes but is less strong. For just containing chickens, 1" holes will keep most of them in, but newly hatched bantam chicks can sometimes walk through that size, and partly grown chickens can stick their heads through 1" openings. Anything smaller will contain chickens of all ages and sizes.

clear roofing sheets for roof (for rain and snow seasons).
Do remember to provide shade for the chickens as well, so they do not get too hot in the sun.

Thank you!
I also used treated lumber for my run frame with a metal roof. I used hardware cloth for my walls and secured them to the lumber with fender washers and screws. I let my flock free range during the day outside of the run.
Thank you! I am going to look for the right sized hardware cloth! They will free range in our backyard during the day when we’re out. But wanted a run for when we’re aren’t. Sadly, a Fox got through our privacy fence last year (late morning while they were out) and got all 4 of our girls so quickly, so we are trying to prevent that again!!

Back
Top Bottom