Run wall material??

I would avoid the plastic woven cloth. Most predators (probably including foxes) would be able to rip or tear through it. But if you ever need to divide the pen into sections, to keep some chickens apart from others, it could be a fine choice--chickens usually cannot get through it.

Chicken wire (hexagon shaped holes, usually fairly cheap, easy to bend, not very strong) might be a little stronger than the plastic woven cloth, but has the same problems. It will typically contain chickens, but most predators (probably including foxes) can rip it or chew it or bend it enough to get through.

Hardware cloth with 1/2" holes will keep most predators out, and will certainly keep chickens in. Just be sure you attach it firmly enough, because some predators (certainly raccoons or dogs, maybe foxes) can rip it loose if you just use staples to attach it.

Welded wire is usually stronger than hardware cloth, but you need to consider the size of the holes. 2" by 4" holes are common. That size will let baby chicks walk right out, some small predators can walk in, adult chickens can stick their heads out (and get grabbed by a predator), and some predators can reach in to grab chickens. Raccoons are the ones I hear most about, but they are not the only ones that can reach through.

Sometimes a combination works well, as several people suggested. A sturdy material with big holes (welded wire or chain link) often works well for the main material, and then the bottom few feet can be covered with a material that has smaller holes but is less strong. For just containing chickens, 1" holes will keep most of them in, but newly hatched bantam chicks can sometimes walk through that size, and partly grown chickens can stick their heads through 1" openings. Anything smaller will contain chickens of all ages and sizes.

Do remember to provide shade for the chickens as well, so they do not get too hot in the sun.
Wow. Thank you very much! Great details! I will probably look for welded and hardware cloth combo. And make sure my husband attaches it good. With the roof, I might do half clear and half regular panels. The run will most likely be shaded part of day by big oak tree.
thanks again!

Sadly, a Fox got through our privacy fence last year (late morning while they were out) and got all 4 of our girls so quickly, so we are trying to prevent that again!!

Remember to close the entire top thoroughly, too.
I have a 6 foot high wood privacy fence, and there is a fox that goes over it regularly. The fox does not even hesitate, just goes over so fast I cannot tell whether it is jumping or climbing.

(No, I am not trusting my fence to keep chickens safe from that fox. But I was surprised by how easily the fox goes over the fence.)

I will probably look for welded and hardware cloth combo. And make sure my husband attaches it good.

Some people attach the hardware cloth to the welded wire with zip ties.

I like to use J-clips (also called rabbit cage clips.) They are little flat piece of metal, bent so they look like the letter J, and you use a special pair of pliers to wrap the metal around the wires.

The pliers are fairly cheap (less than $10, last time I looked), and the pieces of metal seem to last longer outdoors than zip ties.

Here are examples of what they look like:
https://www.kwcages.com/diy/tools/economy-clip-pliers.html
https://www.kwcages.com/diy/clips-rings/50-lb-cage-clips-small-5-16-x-1-2.html
https://www.amazon.com/Miller-Manufacturing-ACC1-Clips-1-Pound/dp/B000FJX85A

Remember to close the entire top thoroughly, too.
I have a 6 foot high wood privacy fence, and there is a fox that goes over it regularly. The fox does not even hesitate, just goes over so fast I cannot tell whether it is jumping or climbing.

(No, I am not trusting my fence to keep chickens safe from that fox. But I was surprised by how easily the fox goes over the fence.)
Thank you. Plan was to close top and designing the final details now before construction. They are still in large brooder in garage now.

I used treated 2x4's, clear roofing and hardware cloth along with some free barn boards for my run. If you want to keep smaller critters out, like mice, rats, weasels, keep the openings small. A weasel will also wipe out your flock in one night. If the hardware cloth is secured properly, and you don't have large animal concerns, (like bear large), I don't think you'd need both welded wire and hardware cloth.

Attachments

• IMG_20210331_111813.jpg
    IMG_20210331_111813.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210330_190015.jpg
    IMG_20210330_190015.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 12
Those economy j clip pliers are junk. The good ones don't cost much more and work 100 times better.
Your experience is clearly different than mine!

I have not tried the exact style you showed, but the economy style never gave me any trouble. I once had a "heavy duty" pair that did not work well at all: the j clip ends ran into each other, instead of overlapping properly. (I eventually decided that pair of pliers was a little bit the wrong shape for the j clips I was using, but the economy pliers worked fine with the very same j clips.)

I used treated 2x4's, clear roofing and hardware cloth along with some free barn boards for my run. If you want to keep smaller critters out, like mice, rats, weasels, keep the openings small. A weasel will also wipe out your flock in one night. If the hardware cloth is secured properly, and you don't have large animal concerns, (like bear large), I don't think you'd need both welded wire and hardware cloth.
Thank you Chuckie! I love your design! That is similar to what I was envisioning off our small coop. No bears in our neighborhood (so far). Did you use 1/2” or 1” hardware cloth?
Thanks

Thank you Chuckie! I love your design! That is similar to what I was envisioning off our small coop. No bears in our neighborhood (so far). Did you use 1/2” or 1” hardware cloth?
Thanks
I used 1/2". The tighter spacing makes it sturdier and nothing will get through holes that small. With 1" I'd still be wary of mice and weasels getting in. I know mice won't hurt anything, more likely that the chickens would eat them, but I just don't want them in there eating feed and bringing friends. Here's a link to a bit more info about my run in case it helps.
The scoop on a Rubbermaid Big Max coop

The scoop on a Rubbermaid Big Max coop

My wife has talked about getting chickens for eggs for some time. After over 30 years of marriage, I understand that means I'm getting chickens! (And I'm ok with that)😆 In preparation, I've been lurking on BYC for a couple of weeks, soaking up information and getting ready for 8 RIR pullets in...

Back
Top Bottom