Run Winterization

I love this!!
You could add a thermometer inside the run to keep track of the temperature.
Last winter, we had snow that went up to the halfway mark on my coop. Depending on how much snow you get, (and this year we are suppose to get more snow) this may work perfectly.
Way ahead of you 😉
I monitor 3 areas. Inside coop, inside run and outside run
DDD2C6DF-56D3-467E-A901-BF3F16123EA2.jpeg

Good morning. In addition to increasing the gaps at the top of the walls, I would remove all the plastic from the wall opposite the coop. That would allow for plenty of ventilation. And it would allow the chickens to get on unobstructed view of the world. At least until snow piles up. We leave our far wall completely open. If a storm hits just right, the first copule feet of our run gets a little snow. But not much. Good luck.
Unfortunately that’s the side that gets the most wind, blows right in off the water. So that’s the end I’ll keep completely covered.

I would worry about it getting really hot in there too. Think about a greenhouse. The venting you have is about what my small greenhouse has. It gets over 80 in there when it is FREEZING out.

I would remove all the plastic on the side the wind does not normally come from.
This is true, it was warm in there already once we put it up. I found it nice initially but I’m sure it wouldn’t take long to get uncomfortable. I might cut it back in the dark this evening!

Maybe if you took the plastic off the bottom under the coop by the other structure it would let the hot air get pushed up and out without creating a wind tunnel.
I’m gonna start by cutting the plastic back up top, reassess and make changes as needed. But I see what you’re going for there. I will definitely keep that in mind!

Back
Top Bottom