Run/Yard roof question

Heathermbm

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2020
Northeast, NC, USA
So we are almost done with the walls of the yard/run and inside the coop. The yard is pretty wide so I’m hoping for some light roofing ideas, we are building in shaded areas as well but I need something to cover everything because hawks are a problem here. Would anti-bird betting work for the roof and keep out birds of prey (being my biggest concern for predators...my neighbors chicken was killed in my frontyard by a hawk..he wasn’t happy when I walked and interrupted him either).

What I would say is to prevent hawks
1 try to drive off main prey other than chickens
2 plant some low shrubs or trees to hide your girls from any type of overhead predator
3 you could try putting the netting over to see if it works but I would recommend going natural
Hope this helps

The yard is pretty wide so I’m hoping for some light roofing ideas,
How wide is "pretty wide", in feet by feet?
Pics would be most helpful here.

Netting can work great, but there are many kinds and some work better than others.
@rosemarythyme has some good stuff.

Snow load might be a consideration.
So....Welcome to BCY! @Heathermbm
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1593731179790.png

If you're going for netting over such a wide expanse, you'll need to set up taller posts in the center to hold it up. I got away with not using them as I used my coop as primary support as it sits in center of one run.

As far as netting options, many of us use the 2" Heavy Knotted Netting (85/425) here: https://pinnonhatch.com/Poultry-Sup...tting-and-Fencing/Poultry-Protection-Netting/ though they have different sizes/weights depending on your needs. 2" will allow some snow to fall through (expect some to stick).

If you're going for netting over such a wide expanse, you'll need to set up taller posts in the center to hold it up. I got away with not using them as I used my coop as primary support as it sits in center of one run.

As far as netting options, many of us use the 2" Heavy Knotted Netting (85/425) here: https://pinnonhatch.com/Poultry-Sup...tting-and-Fencing/Poultry-Protection-Netting/ though they have different sizes/weights depending on your needs. 2" will allow some snow to fall through (expect some to stick).
Ok, thank you. ☺️

The easiest would be put chicken wire or aviary net over the run. However, this type of net will not keep the raccoon from getting in the run/coop. I highly suggest get poultry automatic open/closed door. We have plum trees around the run for shade. We are not sure what kind, but handle Seattle climate very well (cold, hot, wet, and wetland). We eat the plum and also feed the chicken plum during the season around August. As for hawk, you can tie few CDs and let them spin in the wind. That will keep the hawk away so give it a try.

Ah!

Well, I would try to put up a bit of real roof from the coop to the run edge, just the one corner. Mostly, in your climate, for great sun and rain protection. Also, with a bit of roof, it will give you an outside spot to set up feed.

Then, I would put net over the rest of the top.

You might need a tall pole or 4 in the middle to help hold up net.

I know some people use PVC ribs/arches to support net.

I have had a hawk hide in the lower branches of a spruce tree, and kill chickens when they approached.... so brush/hiding spots, aren't always a good thing.

Ah!

Well, I would try to put up a bit of real roof from the coop to the run edge, just the one corner. Mostly, in your climate, for great sun and rain protection. Also, with a bit of roof, it will give you an outside spot to set up feed.

Then, I would put net over the rest of the top.

You might need a tall pole or 4 in the middle to help hold up net.

I know some people use PVC ribs/arches to support net.

I have had a hawk hide in the lower branches of a spruce tree, and kill chickens when they approached.... so brush/hiding spots, aren't always a good thing.
Ok, that all sounds great. I think we are going to put a metal roof coming off the coop itself and the. Some wooden ones in the corner that are low enough for them to jump on but also gives a shaded space. I think I’ll add some bushes too just to give them something else. But still cover the whole thing with something to protect them.

Back
Top Bottom