Run.....

deldeer

Songster
Oct 24, 2019
Northern MD/ DE
Ok so I think I have a plan narrowed down to keep my ladies feet dry and clean, opinions wanted from real experience. I'm going to clean run out, then add a few inches of course sand, then a layer of pine nuggets on top of the sand. Would this be a good idea? Also stone dust is very common around here and a little more course then sand. Can that be used? TIA

The problem with sand is that the poop filters down into it and never goes away -- stinking every time it gets wet.

People who have success with sand almost always live in a dry climate, use sand in a roofed enclosure, and scoop it daily. :)

What's the source of the water that's causing the problem?

If it's rainfall then putting a roof over all or part of the run can help.

It it's rain from the coop roof or the roof of another, nearby building you can divert it with gutters.

If it's groundwater flowing through the run area you need to dig diversion ditches, make grass swales, add French drain, or otherwise re-grade the ground to send water around instead of through.

If it's a low spot that collects water there's not much can be done. :)

Many people find that a good layer of wood chips -- the kind you get from tree trimming -- are the best option for keeping the chicken run from getting muddy.

Given your location, I know that you have pine straw available (I used to live in Millsboro, DE), either for the raking in your yard or commonly available from landscaping supply places. I LOVE pine straw for my run!

It's not as absorbent as some of the other options, but it never packs down and the surface dries out after rain as soon as the sun comes out.

The problem with sand is that the poop filters down into it and never goes away -- stinking every time it gets wet.

People who have success with sand almost always live in a dry climate, use sand in a roofed enclosure, and scoop it daily. :)

It it's rain from the coop roof or the roof of another, nearby building you can divert it with gutters.

If it's groundwater flowing through the run area you need to dig diversion ditches, make grass swales, add French drain, or otherwise re-grade the ground to send water around instead of through.

Many people find that a good layer of wood chips -- the kind you get from tree trimming -- are the best option for keeping the chicken run from getting muddy.

Given your location, I know that you have pine straw available (I used to live in Millsboro, DE), either for the raking in your yard or commonly available from landscaping supply places. I LOVE pine straw for my run!

It's not as absorbent as some of the other options, but it never packs down and the surface dries out after rain as soon as the sun comes out.
Yeah wood chips were a savior here. I signed up to Chip Drop and let them deliver a few truck loads for free and I just spread them around the entire run a good foot deep. The bottom layer eventually breaks down and the birds will love digging in it when it gets to that point.

The water is from the typical rainy weather, run has a cover, run is on high spot, the issue is they like playing in the water and mud, and make it worse, so im looking to stop that. Pine nuggets are what im going to put in, just don't know if I should add some sort of base under it

I use wood chips myself. They drain well and only cost $25 for a truck bed load. Sometimes, you can find them free on Craigslist. My run is covered, but we've had so much rain this past year, the water soaks up through the ground. Having 4-5" of wood chips has served me well. I turn them over every couple of weeks. There's no smell and within a year, most of the chips break down enough to use as soil for the garden. The only negative, I guess, is that once it breaks down to soil, things can get a little muddy. I've only noticed that happening after a year, so I just swap it out at that point. I imagine that will happen with any bedding.
I have pine bark nuggets in part of my yard and I've noticed that they break down into powder quickly with the chickens scratching around. It makes quite a big mess.

My run right after the fence went up in the late summer. The following spring after the birds and winter got done with it. After the first load of chips. And a few years later (today) with a foot plus of wood chips in it and some bamboo for vegetation and shade.
FEE22B48-0E72-4461-841D-D887D2CC6188.jpeg

96FE4462-F4E9-4D55-9F63-6868AF3B2F48.jpeg

4635A93C-123C-4171-9C0F-FA88F4EF2586.jpeg

60277E7F-C329-4E88-BF7F-CE8901669F59.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom