Runaway Turkey

GRacer3648

Chirping
Jun 10, 2019
At about sundown a neighbor's dog got loose and chased some of my turkeys into a nearby woods. Two of the 3 came back within thirty mins. The last one hasn't come back for 4-5 hours. I went out looking for him for an hour and 30 mins before I decided to look again in the morning. I live in a set back area from a pretty empty road so I'm not worried about it getting hit by a car. However, a neighbor did spot what they thought was a turkey crossing the street in front of my house. Will he be able to find his way home? He hatched mid-summer this year and has lived in the same coop his whole life. Do you have any tips to locate/lure him from his hiding area? Do you think he can survive the night? I live in northern CT and there are lots of coyotes and foxes in my area. Any help is appreciated.

At about sundown a neighbor's dog got loose and chased some of my turkeys into a nearby woods. Two of the 3 came back within thirty mins. The last one hasn't come back for 4-5 hours. I went out looking for him for an hour and 30 mins before I decided to look again in the morning. I live in a set back area from a pretty empty road so I'm not worried about it getting hit by a car. However, a neighbor did spot what they thought was a turkey crossing the street in front of my house. Will he be able to find his way home? He hatched mid-summer this year and has lived in the same coop his whole life. Do you have any tips to locate/lure him from his hiding area? Do you think he can survive the night? I live in northern CT and there are lots of coyotes and foxes in my area. Any help is appreciated.
Go out first thing in the morning with a turkey call and see if you can get a response.

How big was the dog? I lost 6 turkeys once to a pair of Alaskan Malamutes that got out of our neighbor's yard. Is it possible he was killed and that you haven't found the body yet? Sorry to say, but I would keep an eye out for feathers as well as the live turkey... But you did say that a neighbor saw a turkey crossing the street, so perhaps there is still hope.

How big was the dog? I lost 6 turkeys once to a pair of Alaskan Malamutes that got out of our neighbor's yard. Is it possible he was killed and that you haven't found the body yet? Sorry to say, but I would keep an eye out for feathers as well as the live turkey... But you did say that a neighbor saw a turkey crossing the street, so perhaps there is still hope.
I'm not sure what breed it was. He was a big dog, probably around 50 pounds. I know for sure it didn't get him because he flew into the trees and the dog lost interest. It's possible one of the other neighbors' dogs could've got it.

Do your turkeys respond to your voice?
Do you feed treats of any kind?

I have two sure ways of locating my birds if they are within earshot of me.
First is to call to them. Since they were a few days old I’ve used “beep, beep, beep” and “turkey, turkey, turkey” as a way to call them.
Though just my voice saying anything will normally get their attention.

If they still aren’t responding to vocal calls I use food.
A little of whatever they like in a bucket. Shake the bucket and call again. If your birds are snack junkies it’s the quickest way to get them running to you.

This has worked well for me many times. When they go up trees, roof, out of sight in the woods, lost out in the corn, ect. Especially if a storm is coming and I want them locked up.

I really hope you find your boy. I know I’d be worried sick.

Do your turkeys respond to your voice?
Do you feed treats of any kind?

I have two sure ways of locating my birds if they are within earshot of me.
First is to call to them. Since they were a few days old I’ve used “beep, beep, beep” and “turkey, turkey, turkey” as a way to call them.
Though just my voice saying anything will normally get their attention.

If they still aren’t responding to vocal calls I use food.
A little of whatever they like in a bucket. Shake the bucket and call again. If your birds are snack junkies it’s the quickest way to get them running to you.

This has worked well for me many times. When they go up trees, roof, out of sight in the woods, lost out in the corn, ect. Especially if a storm is coming and I want them locked up.

I really hope you find your boy. I know I’d be worried sick.
I found him this morning. He was on the next street over. He was calling for the other turkeys. He looks unharmed. Thanks for all the help

Back
Top Bottom