Runner Breathing Kinda Hard

A lukewarm bath can also help with egg laying. And it will also help cool her off. Her beak at this point may be hotter just due to stress. The bath may also relax her.
She's definitely happy to be in the tub! I will leave her in there for a bit.

Is there anything else I should be looking for? Is the calcium going to encourage laying?

Goodness... I know how to manage chickens, not so much ducks. I feel like such a noob.

20220428_220358.jpg

Her bill feels hotter now. I have baytril

Also I would personally wait on baytril, but that is really up to you. If you started it tomorrow vs tonight, it shouldn't make too much of a difference.

She's definitely happy to be in the tub! I will leave her in there for a bit.

Is there anything else I should be looking for? Is the calcium going to encourage laying?

Goodness... I know how to manage chickens, not so much ducks. I feel like such a noob.
The calcium will encourage her to lay and encourage proper contractions of the muscles.

They usually also pump their tails if they have issues laying and squeeze like they are trying to poop.

I would also watch how much she is eating and drinking. Those can also be signs of illnesses too. Or any changes in movement.

Another thing you can do it bring her up to your ear and listen to her breathing. If she has fluid in her lungs, you will be able to hear it. You can also look at her nares for any obstruction.

Keep an eye out for unusual droppings from her.

I fortunately ducks can be pretty good at hiding signs when they feel unwell. One of my ducks was having a laying issues. She barely showed any signs and even bringing her in didn't really confirm she was laying the soft shelled eggs. She was the only one straining her butt. Kept giving her calcium and now we have some weird shaped eggs, no soft shelled and she stopped straining. So it is not always an exact science treating them.

@Miss Lydia will likely respond in the morning.and may have more to add.

Also I would personally wait on baytril, but that is really up to you. If you started it tomorrow vs tonight, it shouldn't make too much of a difference.

The calcium will encourage her to lay and encourage proper contractions of the muscles.

They usually also pump their tails if they have issues laying and squeeze like they are trying to poop.

I would also watch how much she is eating and drinking. Those can also be signs of illnesses too. Or any changes in movement.

Another thing you can do it bring her up to your ear and listen to her breathing. If she has fluid in her lungs, you will be able to hear it. You can also look at her nares for any obstruction.

Keep an eye out for unusual droppings from her.

I fortunately ducks can be pretty good at hiding signs when they feel unwell. One of my ducks was having a laying issues. She barely showed any signs and even bringing her in didn't really confirm she was laying the soft shelled eggs. She was the only one straining her butt. Kept giving her calcium and now we have some weird shaped eggs, no soft shelled and she stopped straining. So it is not always an exact science treating them.

@Miss Lydia will likely respond in the morning.and may have more to add.
Thank you for this. She is eating like a champ. She's begging for peas because I usually give her peas when she's in the house. Her bill feels fine now, and she's pooped 3 normal poops since I put her in the tub.

I'm going to get her out in a bit. She can watch TV with me. She can sleep in a crate tonight. I'm hoping there's a nice egg for me by morning.

Unrelated question:

Does her bill look ok? She has more spots than most pics of Runners that I see.
Her bill looks fine to me. Some ducks just have more spots on their bills than others. I think yours just have cute freckles on its bill. I have a slightly paler fawn and white runner. I know Miss Lydia has runners and may have some with more spots.

DSC_2076.JPG

Back
Top Bottom