Runner Breathing Kinda Hard

Also make sure she has access to water. If she still feels overly warm in the morning, I would start the antibiotics and look at other possible issues. If you really feel the need to start the antibiotics, you can. But I would let her settle down first.

Also make sure she has access to water. If she still feels overly warm in the morning, I would start the antibiotics and look at other possible issues. If you really feel the need to start the antibiotics, you can. But I would let her settle down first.
I will wait. She seemed better in the tub, so maybe it is stress.

@Quatie covered just about everything. i will say when my Runner was going to lay a softshell I watched her sit off by herself breathing differently than normal it actually took her most of the morning to get it out, Calcium Gluconate to me is the best for getting an egg moving. Hopefully she'll have laid this morning and that is all it was.
@DuckyDonna has had really good results with Calcium Gluconate too.

@Quatie covered just about everything. i will say when my Runner was going to lay a softshell I watched her sit off by herself breathing differently than normal it actually took her most of the morning to get it out, Calcium Gluconate to me is the best for getting an egg moving. Hopefully she'll have laid this morning and that is all it was.
@DuckyDonna has had really good results with Calcium Gluconate too.
No egg yet, but she's much more calm and her temp feels normal. Her breathing is calmer now, too.

I will keep her inside for now. Would there be any benefit to giving more calcium?

No egg yet, but she's much more calm and her temp feels normal. Her breathing is calmer now, too.

I will keep her inside for now. Would there be any benefit to giving more calcium?
That is good to hear that she is starting to feel better.

I would give her more calcium, because it certainly won't hurt. If you find she needs more calcium, you could be giving it to her 2 times a day for potentially a week or more.

I tell you what... I am not doing a very good job. I looked at her feet this morning, and her outer toes are rough feeling. I don't see bumblefoot - no scabs or swelling. But it could be the start of it. Again.

I just can't seem to keep them healthy. Marmalade has bumblefoot again. A couple of small areas on Julep's feet are starting to look suspicious. Figgy has this illness. I clean every day. The coop is completely clean and dry. It must be the run. Or whatever they get into when they're foraging? Maybe the mud they get into is bad? Maybe the run is too wet? I take out wer stuff and add dry stuff daily. They're feet just never seem to be soft and smooth for long.

It can be hard with duck feet. They are designed to be on water most of their lives. That really is not an option for everyone, so you are likely to have some issues.

Issues also just tend to all appear all at once. I have been dealing with a duck with a slipped tendon for close to 6 months now. I am working on a more permanent solution for her. Right now she has been indoors for almost 2 months to heal, because she won't rest. I also have a Pekin who is also having leg issues and will probably never be the same again. She also never molted this last year and has not stopped laying eggs. So my two disabled ducks are going to need long term solutions, looking like I will need build an outdoor covered pen for them. I also had the soft shelled egg layer. Plus, I have an older guinea pig who requires extra care because she can't clean herself properly any more. So we definitely all have our issues going on. You are honestly doing great and dealing with the issues handed to you. Are you going to be perfect, no. But as long as you do the best you can, which you do from what I can see, that is really all you can do.

It can be hard with duck feet. They are designed to be on water most of their lives. That really is not an option for everyone, so you are likely to have some issues.

Issues also just tend to all appear all at once. I have been dealing with a duck with a slipped tendon for close to 6 months now. I am working on a more permanent solution for her. Right now she has been indoors for almost 2 months to heal, because she won't rest. I also have a Pekin who is also having leg issues and will probably never be the same again. She also never molted this last year and has not stopped laying eggs. So my two disabled ducks are going to need long term solutions, looking like I will need build an outdoor covered pen for them. I also had the soft shelled egg layer. Plus, I have an older guinea pig who requires extra care because she can't clean herself properly any more. So we definitely all have our issues going on. You are honestly doing great and dealing with the issues handed to you. Are you going to be perfect, no. But as long as you do the best you can, which you do from what I can see, that is really all you can do.
I bought lanolin for their feet.i gave 5 ducks, but only 3 of them have foot issues. My Swedish and Saxony seem to have tougher feet. Regardless, I'll try to treat 2 or 3 duckies' feet/legs daily with the lanolin. Hipefully, that helps. I also have tuf-foot, which is made for protecting dogs' paws from harsh weather. I've been using that on Marmalade's feet the past couple of weeks. AND I went out and cleared as many rocks and pinecones and thorny weeds as I could from the forage area. I also put down a fresh layer of bedding. The rains have stopped for now, so it won't all get washed away.

I've been dealing with a lot lately, and you are right: when it rains, it pours!

I bought lanolin for their feet.i gave 5 ducks, but only 3 of them have foot issues. My Swedish and Saxony seem to have tougher feet. Regardless, I'll try to treat 2 or 3 duckies' feet/legs daily with the lanolin. Hipefully, that helps. I also have tuf-foot, which is made for protecting dogs' paws from harsh weather. I've been using that on Marmalade's feet the past couple of weeks. AND I went out and cleared as many rocks and pinecones and thorny weeds as I could from the forage area. I also put down a fresh layer of bedding. The rains have stopped for now, so it won't all get washed away.

I've been dealing with a lot lately, and you are right: when it rains, it pours!
Let me know if that tuf-foot works out. It would be good to know.

How is Figgy doing?

Back
Top Bottom