*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Hello! :frow
Just picked up 2 4-5 mo old fawn & white runner ducks the other day. They are getting acclimated to our little "farm". I don't think they've had a lot of human interaction and I'm taking it slow with them. I watch them on the camera and they come out of their kennel set up, eat, play in the water, rest, and investigate. But, as soon as they see or hear me, they run to the kennel and either hide inside or behind it. I've tossed a few meal worms and peas their way, but they weren't too interested. Today I tossed a few kernels of sweet corn. They nibbled it while I wasn't looking. I went to get some more (what I had tossed the chickens) and they side eyed me while sort of hiding, but not fully hiding. They didn't come near the corn while I was there, but they ate it all up as soon as they felt safe that I was gone.
Any suggestions to help them realise I'm not a predator?

I've only had muscovy and they have all been with me since they were newly hatched. This is my first time with a mallard derived duck and the first with runners. I know from reading that runners are skittish, but I got them for a few reasons. I read that they are great foragers and I find them pretty interesting.

I started out with Muscovy 2004 then in 2016 my one females muscovy hatched Runners and Buffs for me and her of course. They defiantly have a different personality than the Muscovy. My hatched by mama Muscovy Runners are pretty skittish. They will come around and a few will eat out of my hand but they aren't wanting that much interaction with me, on the other hand I have 3 that I raised inside in a brooder and One is a drake so he doesn't like me picking him up but the 2 females I can pick up and snuggle. These 3 are 2 yrs old. They sure are a busy breed love to forage and love love water. My Muscovy like to have at least one bath a day but these Runners and Buffs would live in the pools I believe. What I like to do is sit out with mine morning and evening. I make treat time early afternoon, I bring out the mealworms and because they can be all over their half-acre I whistle and they know that means treats. My Muscovy are laid back and so different than the Runners but I am so thankful I finally decided to get the Runner eggs and let my Muscovy hatch. I had been so worried my large drake would be raping my little Runners but it has never happened. They are 2 separate flocks, other than mama Muscovy has deiced to live with the Runners and Buffs instead of her Muscovy family.
Enjoy those little ones to me they are the little clowns of the barn yard.

I was wondering if the runner duck community may have an idea about this. I have a unique fawn and white runner. Her breast feathers have finished coming in just recently. Is this a rare coloration? I am really curious to see if any of her feathers are going to be darker brown. So far her wing feathers are pale too.

View attachment 2581311
@Quatie how did this little one color in?

@Quatie how did this little one color in?
She darkened when she had her first molt. I kind of miss that sandy color. It reminded me of the beach. I also may miss it because she use to come to us and ask to be hand feed before eating with out of their feeding bin. She stopped shortly after molting 😟.

DSC_0800.JPG
DSC_0787.JPG

Back
Top Bottom