*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckLover2399, Dec 15, 2011.

1. nancy4

nancy4 New Egg

Jul 17, 2013
    Midlands uk
    Hello fellow runner lovers I'm new to this sight I have a question that I would love to hear your ideas . I rescued two beautiful runners 2 years ago from a lady that got bored of them past the cute fluffy duckling stage . So we brought them home to our little "farm" they turned out to be both male which is causing huge problems as the keep trying to mate each other :( now I really don't want to rehome either of them as I love them both but sadly unless I can think of a way to stop this I'm going to need to swap one of my boys for a lady as I have only addiquate space for two HELP x

2. ke5hde

ke5hde Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Lafayette,NY
    That's a tough one. I've never kept more than 1 drake here because of the fighting so I hope someone else can help.

Chris

3. ke5hde

Aug 29, 2011
    Lafayette,NY
    Here's the new babies

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chris

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

5. qwackers

qwackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    somerset, england
    Aww they are gorgeous.

Hi Nancy, I have a kind of similar situation. I have 4 females and 4 males. I have them grouped separately. 3 adults - 1 Cayuga male and 2 females Aylesbury and their daughter. Then the runners I hatched, 3 boys 2 girls. The runner boys are fine with each other and I don't think they particularly mind the cayuga male but when you let them all out together the cayuga aggressively tries to mate with the boys and the girls. Like you I don't want to get rid of any but I know I am wayyyyy over my male to female ratio. I'm not sure what to do either. If only there was a way to stop ducks wanting to get jiggy!

1 person likes this.
  6. Ninashatchery

Ninashatchery Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2013
    Riverview, FL
    I want to be a member!!.... I am a proud momma to a fawn and white Indian runner duck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ke5hde

Aug 29, 2011
    Lafayette,NY
    What a little cutie. Chris

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  8. lgyure85

lgyure85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    So just to make absolutely certain I have my 5 sexed correctly (they're about 9 weeks old) before I name them. Males make a similar noise to the ducklings, and the females are the only ones that can make the loud "quacking," right? If this is true I have 4 ducks and 1 drake (which would be AWESOME!). I am off work tomorrow (finally!) so I should be able to get some pics of my big babies. They grew up so fast!!!

9. ke5hde

Aug 29, 2011
    Lafayette,NY
    Yes, only the girls can quack. I was just noticing that my older 2 babies are girls. Still not sure on the 3 younger ones but I'll know in a couple more weeks. Poor Clyde has been separated for a couple weeks now and all he does is pace the fence trying to get back in with his girlfriend, but I know the minute he gets back in there he's going to try to mate the older 2 again :mad:

Chris

10. qwackers

qwackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    somerset, england
    Awww poor deprived ducky!

Welcome Nina, cute babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by