*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Pics
Tomorrow they will be a week old.

So big. They wondered off the blanket onto the wooden floor.
No running babies!!This floor is too slick
old.gif

So this is our 3rd lil" bunch of ducks and this time we are trying something different in their brooder. Instead of using the heat lamp that gives off heat and either red or white light ALL THE TIME, we put a heat rock(from the reptile section at PETCO) in with them and covered it with a kitchen towel. It gets down to about 60 in the house some nights but they don't seem to mind, I sometimes see them laying around or on the rock together but never huddled on top of one another. I don't have AC so its not drafty in the house at all. Anyway they seem to really like it, in the past it seemed like the heat lamp kept the babies awake and beeping more. These three are very content and starting to act like the other four (scared of mama YETI). I took em' for a swim in the tub yesterday for a bit and that is always soooooo cute to see them dive and speed around. I hope when their lil' feathers come in there will be some distinct markings on them other wise I won't be able to tell them apart. It might be like having triplets and I'll have to make them wear an identifying band or something.

We have done well with colored velcro, the soft side in. A few runners are still wearing theirs after three years. Two gave up the ghost after 2 or 2.5 years. Elfie and Fünf still look so much alike I keep Elf's band on. I could probably remove Vier's - she is still mostly brown and the rest are at least half white now. Also, she has curly tail feathers.

We have done well with colored velcro, the soft side in. A few runners are still wearing theirs after three years. Two gave up the ghost after 2 or 2.5 years. Elfie and Fünf still look so much alike I keep Elf's band on. I could probably remove Vier's - she is still mostly brown and the rest are at least half white now. Also, she has curly tail feathers.

colored velcro, that is a great idea!

Nice ducks, everyone!
Here some pictures of mine again:

Alfred - one handsome rogue.

Audrey - my tamest duck. She sometimes approaches me to couriously peck at my shoes and has realized that the pekin drake does not dare to come as close to me as she does - and thus runs towards me when she is chased by the big guy again whom she usually outruns anyway. She then stays with me until he waddles away.

Love this, gonna switch over! We've used colored pipe cleaners, but have found more have fallen off than stayed on these days. I'll have to hit the dollar store and buy up a ton!

Remember, soft side IN! (c:

And they don't have to be tight at all. They spin around their legs. I trimmed them as well, so there were no dangling parts. But you knew that . . . .

I am SO envious reading this thread,lol!!! I want to find a few runner eggs to incubate but always seem to miss out by the skin of my teeth.Ugh.
Oh well, I can live vicariously through all the wonderful pictures!! :)

Here are some photos from today.. My runners are a little over 3 weeks old now.

Gabby, Lola and Affac

Tinker. He has a turned in food, but is doing well. He does trip over his foot if he is in a hurry. So sweet!

Back
Top Bottom