*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

I have a quick question. When do runners start to lay eggs? My runners are 5 1/2 months old and started mating toward the end of August. We do not have any eggs yet should I be worried about my female cuz they mate like rabbits. Thanks

I don't think you need to be worried. I heard runners start laying as early as 4 months and as late as 6 months or older. My six female runners have all been late bloomers... they're all about 6 months and older now... still some are not laying. As long as your runners are behaving normally and seem to be healthy otherwise, I don't think it's anything to worry about. She will probably start soon! You might already know this, but since we're on the subject, she will need extra calcium available to her. The calcium is needed so that her body can make the shell around the eggs she lays. You could provide it now or right after she starts laying. My ducks always have a bowl of crushed oyster shells available. There are other ways to provide extra calcium that you can research, too.

Also, since you have only one female, watch for signs of over mating to make sure she is not being injured (overly balding neck, limping, eye injuries, etc.) . I've heard males can get a little rough. But in my experience, my females have a lot of control over when and how much lovin' they are getting and the males seem to know when enough is enough. So it might not be an issue for you!

Last edited:
Hi, well with fall coming on it is time to downsize the extras. I have 4 runners 2 buff hens, 1 buff drake and 1 blue drake. the boys have started fighting so one has to go. I prefer the blues personality but is his color wrong for the ladies. My question is it better to have matching colors or does it matter?

Thanks

Same question here on downsizing-we have 10 runners, 5 black and 5 fawn. Seven of them are drakes and 3 are hens (1 black/2 fawn). Should I get rid of all but one drake or all of the drakes? Is it necessary/beneficial to have a drake(s) if you don't care about fertile eggs?

Also, what's up with the hens bobbing their heads when they see us? Is that some kind of a greeting? Thanks!

I have a question Jae Jae our female has spots on her beak. I thought it may have been mud or algae, but they will not wipe off and I am not sure if this is normal or if I should be worried.

Picture

I have a question Jae Jae our female has spots on her beak. I thought it may have been mud or algae, but they will not wipe off and I am not sure if this is normal or if I should be worried.

Picture
Our runners have the same thing. Just a stain from digging around, eating, etc isn't it?

Some ducks develop spots on their bills - I think I recall someone writing it can be hormonal.

My runners have mood-ring bills. Sometimes the highlights of their black bills are green (and they tend to be more grumpy). Sometimes they are blue (and they seem more mellow). The highlights change color over time. So Zehn may have green highlights, then a month later, blue.

Here is a conversation we had a few years ago https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/425746/green-spots-on-duck-bill

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom