*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

My runners hatched their first duckling on Saturday and 2 more have arrived since! Now we're just waiting for the final 2!

I was wondering whether anyone could help me, what colour do you think this little guy could turn out?

Awe, he's very sweet. Congrats on the hatches! Maybe those darker bits will be brown? It's a bit too dark to be fawn. I think brown and white runners are called penciled, I could be wrong though.

How come one of my white runners does not stand tall? It crouches like a pekin and the other stands more vertical.

How come one of my white runners does not stand tall? It crouches like a pekin and the other stands more vertical.

All the time? Could you post some pics? Mine doesn't stand tall all the time, usually only when she's running somewhere or something has really gotten her attention. She hangs out with two Welsh Harlequins though, instead of other runners, so maybe she just picked up bad posture from them.
lol.png

We have 8 ducks to go with our chickens, and our ducks are free range around the yard. We have four pair - hen and drake each - of Khaki Campbell, Black Swedish, Pekin, and Runners. A couple of the hens had previously tried - and failed - to hatch. Then we saw that the runner was broody and setting on eggs under an evergreen. We let her be...not expecting the runner to be successful. Well...anyway...after a while, this:

Now...we don 't know that they are pure runners. We don't know that all the eggs were even from this hen. Between the four drakes and the four hens, I can tell you that racial purity did not appear to be a consideration when acts of breeding took place. But...it is what it is. We have gone from eight ducks to twenty ducks. And now the Khaki Campbell hen is broody and setting on eggs under an evergreen tree...

I'm not sure which hen the duckling came from as they all laid their eggs in the same nest but here's my squad (drake is the middle one, broody mama is the one on the far right):

Back
Top Bottom