Runner duck hatching problems - advice greatly appreciated please!

Mummyduck

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 16, 2011
Cornwall, UK
Hi, I'm new to this but I have been doing lots of research in preparation for hatching 6 runner ducks and I know the members of this forum give great advice. I now have a problem with my runner ducks. It's day 31. One duckling has hatched and is happy, energetic and healthy and is now in the brooder. Another duckling sadly died overnight as it hatched with it's yolk still attached.

I have one duckling who pipped last night and has just made a hole. It is cheeping and still pushing and I don't know whether to help it or not I am guessing not, but it doesn't seem to be progressing too much. The humidity is high - 70 - 80% and I have lightly sprayed the membrane with warm water to prevent it from drying out. Seeing as the one born yesterday hatched without having absorbed it's yolk I am hesitant to help this one in case it hasn't absorbed it's yolk either.

The other problem I have is that I have an egg that was moving slightly when I candled but hadn't pipped. I researched this problem and read that it may help to make a hole in the shell by the airsack, which I have done.I only did this because the ducks are hatching so late. However, the duckling is covered in a membrane and I can't see it's beak or head and I am assuming it is the wrong way round and hadn't even internally pipped yet. I am really worried about this one. I am leaving it alone but misting to prevent the membrane from drying. I know this is a bit of an essay but any helpful guidance would be greatly greatly appreciated, so that my other little runner duck has siblings! Thankyou.

They are pretty late? I dont know much about hatching eggs im going to be hatching some ducks sometime next week. But I dont know much. But hopefully this will bump you up.

They are pretty late - I know they can take up to 30 days but I didn't think it would be longer. The one that pipped has just this minute hatched all by itself! I don't think the other 2 are alive now
sad.png
But we have 2 healthy ducks. Good luck with hatching yours!

Back
Top Bottom