Runner duck with a green bill

Ok, I found a pic of my ducks with the green on their bills. This is when I first got them, so they are approx. 4 months old in the pics. One turned out to be a drake! The other three, I am pretty sure, are hens. Only the one has the curly tail feathers.

Here is the pic. You can see that two of them have green on their bills. One much more army green then the other...the one in the back. The one in the front looks almost blue green in the pic, but is now very greenish tinted. They are about 6 1/2 months old now. It really is just the coloring of their bills. I wouldn't worry about it on your duck, unless it is very obviously something "growing" on the bill. Can you post a picture for us? Thanks.

ducksandshuttlesbirthdaypics083-1.jpg

When I got my first female, a white runner, the breeder told me that her line often had brownish spots on their bills as they matured. Just the girls.

My collared fawn girls have splotchy brown spots, my light fawn has a blue bill, dark fawn almost black.

Variety rocks!

my fawn and white runners have green spots on thier bills, ive never heard of this being a problem. im clueless also.

My Welsh Harlequins have green on their bills. Eventually the bills will turn black. In their case, it is just part of a normal color change....

1003076h.jpg

Thanks for all your replies! I am so surprised and happy! Here's a picture of my girl, Uggless..
27267_backyard_ducklings_help.jpg

My husband says that maybe it's teenage acne. All my girls will be 4 months old on the 3rd! Almost eggtime!
It almost looks to me, from everyone's pictures, that this might be normal???

It looks like it is just changing color. If there is no redness around the edge, no sores, no roughness...I wouldn't panic.

Last edited:
i think it is just natural, i know a guy near me who has multitudes of runners, fawn and whites, and whites, and grey ones, he must have close to 100 and as they get older they all seem to get it.
smile.png
so yes i think its just with age

Zinnia- First of all, what a cutie she is!
smile.png
The spots on her bill in the pic are 100% normal. I have heard they are caused by hormones, but have seldom seen them mentioned (probably because it is normal for a duck to have them).

Back
Top Bottom