Runner duck with dislocated hock

MisaF

Songster
5 Years
Jul 25, 2018
Montgomery, NY
Hi all! My runner drake dislocated his hock yesterday. I was standing there when it happened. He was laying down and stretched his leg behind him and the leg then stayed that way when he tried to get up. I picked him up to try to see what the problem was and I felt the hock pop back in.
I took him to the vet right away. Vet confirmed it was his hock but it seemed like it was back in place. Sent me home with pain meds for him.
It seems like the hock keeps popping out though. He lies down and the leg seems to not get back underneath him. It eventually does just not when he initially tries. I put him in a small enclosure to hopefully allow him to rest the leg but other than that I’m not sure what else to do. Vet isn’t around until Monday and I’m at a loss.

Boy I bet that hurt. Gad to hear you got him to the vet.
I do think rest and not much activity especially mating should at least be off the table till Monday. Then reevaluate whether he needs an Xray to see what is going on.
How old is your drake?

Boy I bet that hurt. Gad to hear you got him to the vet.
I do think rest and not much activity especially mating should at least be off the table till Monday. Then reevaluate whether he needs an Xray to see what is going on.
How old is your drake?
I have him separated in a small pen with food and water and he’s mostly just lying down which is good. When he does get up he can maybe get one step before he has to lie back down. I’m not 100% sure how old he is. We got him as a rescue. He came with his mom who is about 12 years old (totally blind) after she got hit by a car and I found her in the road. So the guess was that he is maybe 6ish? He is getting pain meds twice a day but he’s a bit of a jerk so it’s not easy to get them into him but so far I’ve won the fights. From what I am reading online it seems like this may not fix itself and become a quality of life issue but I’m hoping that’s not the case. He’s a total jerkface and he hates me but his mom uses him as her seeing eye duck so we love him in spite of his jerkness. 😂

948FA4F0-B44D-4549-BEC2-7E2427F3777C.jpeg
This is the patient in question on his way to the vet yesterday.

I had to laugh at your description of him. Bless at least his mom needs him. And you love him.
My gander gets baby aspirin for arthritis so since he loves bread I smash a small piece of bread around his aspirin and he never knows.
12 yrs gosh I hope my Runners live a long life like your female. They are 5.
Please keep us updated on how he is doing.

Back
Top Bottom