Runner Duckling Quacks

Lydia, Thanks so much for responding to my post, I took a video but can't figure out how to upload to you tube, pardon my computer ignorance( have a new iPad...among other shortcomings...:). No bother at this point, I am certain now my runners are peking and I have only one female to three drakes! The girl who sold me the ducklings told me this was worst case scenario, and males could end up killing female when they became "mature". Panicked now, need advice and wondering if we should ...
A. Buy two more " female " ducklings , raise them in brooding box then transfer to coop with others when old enough...
B. buy two female older ducks, but from where?...and will they be peope friendly like our ducks
C. Do a duck exchange ( trade one of my males peking with a female ), don't know where or how to do this , do I call the local feed mill I purchased the ducks from? Do people even do this?
D. Build a second coop to house the female...she will be alone now
E. do nothing
Sorry for long post, I really need some insight from experienced persons ! I am new to this, but will post pics for those interested as soon as I can!
Thanks!

I might be tempted to combine the separate housing with getting some girlfriends for her. A number of people have a drake pen and a duck pen, and allow visits sometimes, but separate them out if things get rough.

I have two flocks, apparently, and I keep them apart when I am not around. It's complicated. It's not just a drake-duck ratio problem. It's that I have unwittingly raised a flock of Amazon Runners. sigh.

Thanks! I understand what your saying, I would prefer to bring in two female ducklings, (asap) raise them in our house for four/ five weeks then introduce them to group before the elders mature, then separate the drakes to a new coop later, but before they get their frisk on. Can this be done??? The two younger females obviously would be at least 7 weeks younger, which is a life time for a duck. Or do I look for adult ducks??

It's always an unknown. You might find a couple of grown or nearly grown ducks, or not. And they might hit it off with the rest right away, or not. Check local animal shelters or rescue groups, they may have a lead on a needy pair, there's the rehoming forum, too.

It's always an unknown. You might find a couple of grown or nearly grown ducks, or not. And they might hit it off with the rest right away, or not. Check local animal shelters or rescue groups, they may have a lead on a needy pair, there's the rehoming forum, too.
also craigs list a lot of folks get cute lil ducklings then as they begin to grow decide they aren't for them. and check your feed store they may know of some one who has ducks.

Hi! thanks for the advice Amiga and Miss Lydia! I'm new to this, so I appreciate any and all advice. I worry alot and have alot of questions. Just to follow up( for now) I talked with local feed mill, told me to check on post board for listings it's still a little early to determine/worry about gender? probably will wait till later in the season. Right now they all get along perfectly, (although i'm a bit dissapointed we got pekins instead of runners) still think we built a good set up for up for our duckies...time will tell I guess. thanks Again!

Back
Top Bottom