Runner ducks are suddenly being aggressive to each other

Since you only have three and they are all females, I wonder if this is just a dominance thing. Just like how a roosterless chicken flock usually has one head hen who will sometimes take on rooster traits to fill in the gap, so to speak, this almost sounds like what is happening with your duck.
As far as ways to fix it, I would start with separating the bully duck into a large wire dog crate for a few days. Give the other two ducks a chance to bond closer together.
And with only having three, the dominant duck does not have a lot of options as far as who to pick on. I don't know if you have the space or even want more ducks, but I would consider getting a couple of more females if the temporary separating doesn't work.

Always worth trying different things to see what works. My main objective when I mentioned separating the one being picked on was giving her time to recoup and try and get her back to laying normal eggs again. All advise is welcomed I am sure not the only one here with info. Appreciate your advise @HeatherKellyB
So only one duck is actually picking on this one? I was thinking it was both.
@HollowOfWisps is another who may have suggestions.

sorry it took me a while to get back internet is wonky.
I meant that they were both holding her head underwater, I didn't know that was common, and they were playing like that. But only one is aggressive.

Since you only have three and they are all females, I wonder if this is just a dominance thing. Just like how a roosterless chicken flock usually has one head hen who will sometimes take on rooster traits to fill in the gap, so to speak, this almost sounds like what is happening with your duck.
As far as ways to fix it, I would start with separating the bully duck into a large wire dog crate for a few days. Give the other two ducks a chance to bond closer together.
And with only having three, the dominant duck does not have a lot of options as far as who to pick on. I don't know if you have the space or even want more ducks, but I would consider getting a couple of more females if the temporary separating doesn't work.
Thanks for the advice! I definitely have enough room to separate them, at worst I also have enough room to get more ducks. I never would have guessed that females have a need to show dominance.

I wonder how things would go if you took the most aggressive duck and put her by herself. That will give the scared one time to bond with the middle ground duck. I'm not sure but let's see what @Miss Lydia thinks.
A couple more knowledgeable and helpful people are @Isadora and @Quatie
I believe @DuckyDonna has all Runner ducks.

Between these four amazing friends, I'm sure they can help you figure out a plan that will get you back on track.
Do you have current pictures of the ducks?
I am going to take a current pic and send it as soon as possible, I only have a pic that is few months old.

I have seen some similar things. Usually when there is a change in my flock dynamics. My welsh harlequin trend to be the ones I see this the most. One of mine use to get picked on a lot and really shied from the group a bit. Party of this was because she use to be near the top of the flock. I started giving her special attention, like working to get her to hand feed from me again. Her attitude changed and she was a lot happier. Sometimes giving that one some extra attention can really help. Like I gave one a private bath, and that had a huge impact on her. She was all sad and and depressed because her buddy died. After a couple baths inside, she was like her old self again.

Seperating out the dominant duck can also help shift the flock dynamics. I have done this a couple times. When they are separated from interacting with the flock for awhile, they start to loose their status. So it could be beneficial, but harder to say with only 3 ducks.

I have seen molting change ducks attitude. Another one of my Welsh harlequins molted really early in the year. She started feeling real good about herself and started picking fights with a couple of the other ducks at the top of the flock.

Some of my ducks get very frustrated from a lack of sex from my drake. They will jump on other females, grab their necks, not let go, and mate the female over and over and over. When my drake mates with them, the behavior goes away for a bit. Since you have no drake, this could be happening, and you have a frustrated duck.

I have a large flock, so my ducks can shift from one group to another. I find with a bigger flock they can easily change who they hang out with. So adding more may give that duck a chance to interact with others, but you could also end up just adding more ducks to pick on the same one.

Lastly just to make sure, are you 100% sure you have 3 females and not a drake and 2 females? I only mention it because it sounds like typical drake behavior, especially this time of year.

I have seen some similar things. Usually when there is a change in my flock dynamics. My welsh harlequin trend to be the ones I see this the most. One of mine use to get picked on a lot and really shied from the group a bit. Party of this was because she use to be near the top of the flock. I started giving her special attention, like working to get her to hand feed from me again. Her attitude changed and she was a lot happier. Sometimes giving that one some extra attention can really help. Like I gave one a private bath, and that had a huge impact on her. She was all sad and and depressed because her buddy died. After a couple baths inside, she was like her old self again.

Seperating out the dominant duck can also help shift the flock dynamics. I have done this a couple times. When they are separated from interacting with the flock for awhile, they start to loose their status. So it could be beneficial, but harder to say with only 3 ducks.

I have seen molting change ducks attitude. Another one of my Welsh harlequins molted really early in the year. She started feeling real good about herself and started picking fights with a couple of the other ducks at the top of the flock.

Some of my ducks get very frustrated from a lack of sex from my drake. They will jump on other females, grab their necks, not let go, and mate the female over and over and over. When my drake mates with them, the behavior goes away for a bit. Since you have no drake, this could be happening, and you have a frustrated duck.

I have a large flock, so my ducks can shift from one group to another. I find with a bigger flock they can easily change who they hang out with. So adding more may give that duck a chance to interact with others, but you could also end up just adding more ducks to pick on the same one.

Lastly just to make sure, are you 100% sure you have 3 females and not a drake and 2 females? I only mention it because it sounds like typical drake behavior, especially this time of year.
I am 100% sure that they are all females.

Sounds like they are mating.. are the two ducks male? Or at least one of them is male? If so they are probably trying to mate with her and if she tries to get away they will become more aggressive in their attempts (pulling feathers and injuring her) if so keep an eye on her and make sure they don’t hurt her to bad. They will eventually stop when mating season is over.

Back
Top Bottom