Runner ducks going after rooster

bookwormofdune

Chirping
Sep 16, 2015
I see plenty on roosters attacking ducks but I don't see much on dicks going after roosters. I have four runner ducks (2male 2female, results of straight run ducklings) and they share a yard with 7 hens and one rooster. They leave the girls alone but keep ganging up on the rooster. I'm not sure what's going on here. I've had a couple times in the last two days were they get him penned in a corner and just start going to town pecking him. The poor Roo screams :(

Is this a duck thing or a runner thing or a drake leading the group thing or something totally different?

I know my geese bully my chickens - getting a mouthful or tail feathers from the non-alert hen. I did have a couple Perkins a few years ago that left my hens alone but I had a neighbor who a pair of delinquent Jersey Giant roosters that would come over and attack my ladies. These two ducks would chase and tear tail feathers out of the invaders. Once one had him by the tail feathers, the other by the neck feathers and gave him a good stretching. He was too scared to ever come back!

In my experience Drakes do not do well with Chickens...My Ducks and Chickens are kept apart...A Drake will even try to breed Chickens with death or damage to the Chicken..Drakes have a penis and Roosters do not...
I free range my two flocks of birds and have an electric mesh fence to keep them apart..Not turned on but as a barrier to keep things safe...

Cheers!

I know my geese bully my chickens - getting a mouthful or tail feathers from the non-alert hen. I did have a couple Perkins a few years ago that left my hens alone but I had a neighbor who a pair of delinquent Jersey Giant roosters that would come over and attack my ladies. These two ducks would chase and tear tail feathers out of the invaders. Once one had him by the tail feathers, the other by the neck feathers and gave him a good stretching. He was too scared to ever come back!

Wow you have bold ducks, mine are scared of the chickens. They give em a wiiiiide berth.

Wellllll.....I give.

After the third time going after my poor Roo, the ducks are locked in their run until I can get a fence set up to split the chicken yard. I knew this was a possibility when we got the ducks. The chicken run and duck run were actually built (the duck was second) so I could separate the two.

Back
Top Bottom