runner egg emergency incubator *NEW PICS*hatched still attached to egg

Well, last egg is still alive.
smile.png
It was not progressing so last night I picked off a bit of shell and it looked a bit dry. I picked off a bit more and used a pin to cut through the membrane. The inner membrane looked like it was shrinking and so, holding the egg more upright, I put a few drops of warm water down the side. I then placed the end of a damp paper towel in the bowl of water so it remained wet. So, far so good.

It is very wet in there. I'm thinking because I used a cardboard box, no appropriate plastic available, that the box is taking in some of the moisture in the air. Note to self, if I am expecting eggs again, but a high sided plastic tote.

I am so hoping that this one makes it.

Okay, so this is where we are at. Beak and a claw are outside. I have taken off some of the shell but left the membrane intact. There are still some blood vessels in the top of the shell. No bleeding. Shoudl I just leave it and see? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I'm so impatient and so worried that this one will die too. HELP! Advice?

43796_egg_001.jpg

just place a little thermometer under her like this
70328_bodytempthermometer.jpg
and if her temp is right leave her alone, if it is way to high, then take out all of the nesting materials to make it more ventilated

In the egg? or in the "incubator" I have a thermometor in there and its at almost 100 degrees F. Don't know how accurate it is though.

i thought that the eggs were under the hen???,,,, are they not?.... i was wondering if you had a thermometer like this one and if you could put it under her to see how hot it is under there, and if it was to hot move her and her eggs to somewhere, with more ventilation, or remove all of the nesting materials, (Assuming that she is in a nesting box)

Oh sorry. Guess I'll change the title of my post. No, I moved them inside after the first one died under the foster hen. The 2nd one died also. I think too little humidity. So my last little egg is trying to hatch.

Ducks will need more humidity than chicks ... for me it looks like he is getting shwrink wrap

Make sure he doesnt dry fast

I just hatched 12 runner ducks last weekend

I had to help 1 he was all dry

had to soak him in warm water for few minutes than help him brake the shell all around

Last edited:
Quote:
Need to leave the lid on so you don't dry the baby out while it is trying to hatch. Ducklings need more humidity and also take longer from Pip to hatch. Where are you here in FL? We just finished a massive Call Duck hatch, over 70 ducklings total out right now.

Back
Top Bottom