How long can chick stay in incubator?

TerryBowleg

Chirping
Feb 23, 2023
I’m on day 21 right now. One hatched 24 hours ago. 2 more have hatched since then. All are still in the incubator. There’s a couple of eggs in the incubator with pip holes (one has had a hole with no movement for 14 hours).

I guess my question is, how much longer can I leave the hatched chicks in the incubator? If I open the lid and take them out will it shrink wrap the unhatched chicks? Do I need to assist hatch the egg with a hole and no movement for 14 hours?

This is my first hatch 😆

Hello!

I don’t blame you for being a little anxious, especially for your first hatch. I was the same way.

After hatching, chicks live off the yolk sac that they absorb after pipping and before they hatch. They can survive without any food or water for at least two days after hatching, and will usually be just fine for even three. Your first few chicks will be just fine in the incubator for a while longer.

Though it is stressed that you do not open the incubator during lockdown and especially when eggs have pipped, it is mostly important that the humidity goes back up quickly after you close it. It should stay (ideally) close to 70%. As long as there is water in the water trough at all times during the hatch, your chicks should be fine, but don’t keep the incubator lid off or the door open too long or too often. The less frequently you have to open it the better.

So no matter what you choose to do, whether you take the chicks out or leave them in until the others hatch, everyone will most likely be okay. Personally, I would leave the incubator closed until at least a few more hatch just to be on the safe side, but it’s up to you. 🙂

Hello!

I don’t blame you for being a little anxious, especially for your first hatch. I was the same way.

After hatching, chicks live off the yolk sac that they absorb after pipping and before they hatch. They can survive without any food or water for at least two days after hatching, and will usually be just fine for even three. Your first few chicks will be just fine in the incubator for a while longer.

Though it is stressed that you do not open the incubator during lockdown and especially when eggs have pipped, it is mostly important that the humidity goes back up quickly after you close it. It should stay (ideally) close to 70%. As long as there is water in the water trough at all times during the hatch, your chicks should be fine, but don’t keep the incubator lid off or the door open too long or too often. The less frequently you have to open it the better.

So no matter what you choose to do, whether you take the chicks out or leave them in until the others hatch, everyone will most likely be okay. Personally, I would leave the incubator closed until at least a few more hatch just to be on the safe side, but it’s up to you. 🙂
The little guy I was worried about hatched this morning. I went ahead and took the hatched chicks out, I currently see no pipping signs out of the other eggs. We’ll see how the next day or so goes

Back
Top Bottom