runner x muscovy??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kerriliane, Dec 12, 2010.

1. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    Hi!
    I have two indian runners, and 4 muscovies.
    The runners are a male & female pair. and I'm 99% sure the muscovies are all girls as they have very little red in their faces. just at the edge of the beak, no where else.

I have found some duck eggs recently, and put them in the incubator cause I figured - heck, why not?
    They are developing, and i saw the runner mount a scovy a couple days ago..
    will the cross be born without the ability to be bred later? I heard that because scovys are claw toed, they cant be bred with other ducks or the offspring are infertile.

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Wow, I would love to see the end result of that mating, for sure. Please keep us updated.

As far as I know, the offspring will be sterile, but I think the female offspring may be able to lay eggs, but I'm not sure.

The reason they can't breed fertile offspring has more to do with genetics than whether they have claw-toes. They are just too divergent from their common ancestor, just like horses and donkeys.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I saw some about a year ago - they werent particularly nice looking birds at all in my opinion. Crossbred mutts - that dont look like either a muscovy or a Runner. I fellow thought breeding some for an auction would be a great way to make some money- He had about 30 there- and took almost all of them home. People didnt want them as a pet- farmbird or a meat bird. Poor Duckies. I guess they could be alright as layers- but the drakes will all be freeloaders if they cant produce offspring or eggs.

Im sure they would still be cute when just hatched...All duckies are at that stage.

4. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    I didn't think they were fertile!
    I only have 3 in the bator, so if any hatch they'll just be my pets [​IMG]

My Runners are brown/white and the male has a dark brown patch over his eye.

he's on the left of this photo

[​IMG]

and the scovies are all a black with hints of green and have white heads. except one is 95% white.. with some grey feathers on her back.

Will be interesting to see the babies

5. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    We once had a Cayuga/Silver Muscovy mule. Very pretty!
    (I'll try to find a pic but it was a long time ago, might not have one)

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    To answer your question, mule ducks (muscovy crossed with mallard-drived breed) are infertile. A lot of people raise mule ducks for meat and eggs.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Due to differences in chromosome #, either sex muscovy X mallard derived cross is sterile. In my experience the hens did not lay eggs. Due to hybrid vigor, they are healthy, fast growing, good tasting:oops: ducks.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by