Runners chasing a laser pointer?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lacrymosa, May 17, 2010.

1. Lacrymosa

Lacrymosa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2010
    Fort Worth
    So one of my runners is a house duck in diapers, and I was pointing to a spot on the wall with a laser pointer, trying to get my cat to chase it, when suddenly Boink, not the cat, but the DUCK comes running from across the room and bites the wall.

Is this normal for a 4 month old runner? I thought it was funny as heck, and she chased it down the hallway too and almost ran into the border collie.

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    That is to cute, I have a dog that chases a laser pointer more then my cats do so I guess it is fine maybe he thought it was a bug or something [​IMG]

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I had a Runer playing with a spot of light on the side of a brooder recently. The spot was there from the lamp provided as a heat source in a brroder beside the one the playful duck was in.. It was on the side of the brooder..but each time the duckling would move foward to bite at the light- it would disapear- the ducks head was blocking the spot of light. Most likely they think it is some kind of insect.

4. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    When DH and I visited the Boston aquarium, they had a laser pointer that projected a fish-shaped light onto the bottom of the pool where the penguins lived. Those birds would zoom around at full speed, chasing that "fish" in the water. Seems normal, but hilarious to me.

5. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    [​IMG] Oh, that gives me an idea!!! I think I could entertain both the ducks and the kids at the same time with one of those. LOL. My ducklings chase anything that moves, they would go nuts over a laser pointer!

6. AmyinNC

AmyinNC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    That is hilarious! I must try that now! Thanks for sharing your story. Too cute!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by