Runners vs Welsh Harlequin

Newchickadee30

Songster
Mar 20, 2020
Hello,
We currently have chickens, but looking into getting back into ducks.
More for fun and some eggs.
I can’t decide between Indian Runners and Welsh Harlequin.
Eggs are a bonus, but we get plenty from our chickens.
I would stay temperament, cold harshness, and willingness to hatch their own are number one. What’s your thoughts?

I would probably vote Welsh Harlequin, though I have not had any adult Runners yet so what I know of them is not first hand experience. My Welsh Harlequins have calm and docile temperaments and I had one out of three go broody and hatch ducklings. They will still be hit or miss as to whether they go broody. But I've heard it's very rare for a Runner to hatch out ducklings. The most reliable broody duck breeds I know of are Mallards and Muscovies.

I think both breeds would be equally cold hardy if given good shelter, but neither are specifically known for it. @Miss Lydia has Runners, maybe she can answer whether they would work for what you need 🙂.

Well, I would say Runners are not what you want. Although I have seen members who had had Runners brood and hatch mine have never and they are now going on 8 yrs old,Mine can't sit still long enough to hatch any ducklings lol. They were awesome egg layers until around 5 yrs old now it's sporadic but i still do get some eggs.

Even though two of my welsh didn't have big personalities, the remaining one I have is so calm she jumps up on my door step and literally knocks with her beak to get someone inside to bring peas out. If we open the door she just walks right in, no worries. None of my other breeds are quite that adventurous. And for that reason I really love her!

Back
Top Bottom