Running Fast and Flapping Wings

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lisa Wood, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Lisa Wood

Lisa Wood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    AIKEN, South Carolina
    Mine run like they are in Kentucky Derby, WITH both wings held HIGH and out from body, flapping!
    They all might run .20 feet and then stop and regroup for the next heat.
    I get the feeling it is play. What is it?

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Generally speaking hens will run like this when they think that other members of the flock are getting more than their fair share of the chicken food or that some favored chicken feed is at stake.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    It is a form of play. Birds are training their muscles and nervous system to perform which is important as they grow. You will often see spurts of it when they are released from confinement. Birds that fly more regularly do not do the running flapping bit as much but they still do it. You may also note they do similar on larger branches in tree where they seem to be treating it as an obstacle course. My small kids to similar where they look for complex paths to exert themselves on repeatedly. The chickens differ in they do not repeat as often in rapid succession.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I agree that it's a form of 'play'......or just energy exertion, especially with younger and/or confined birds.

Whatever it is, it always cracks me up......
    .....especially when a group of them do it, my current 'pullet punks' group (17 weeks) indulge often lately.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Play. It never ceases to bring a smile to my face.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    They remind me of kindergarten to first grade girls who will be playing fairly quietly on the playground, and will suddenly run SCREAMING to another part of the playground. (Apparently you run faster when you're screaming) No reason for it. It's just what they do.

7. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Loved watching my chickens do this ... wish I would have gotten a video of it. They don't do it anymore now that they are older.

8. Lisa Wood

Lisa Wood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    AIKEN, South Carolina

Oh my! I will not like them stopping that! They are better than alot of TV! Watching little young Roo teaching himself to crow is also high on fun meter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by