running noses and lost 2 already

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happymama, Sep 23, 2008.

1. happymama

happymama New Egg

Sep 21, 2008
    I have 38 17 week old RIRs. I lost one Sunday Am and one yesterday AM. Today all were alive YEAH but ..... The 2 that diead looked perfectly normal. They did not show any signs of distress or that they had been pecked or anything like that. Thay are in a portable coop (10 ft by 12 ft)that gets moved everyday to fresh grass. I have not noticed any irregular poops. When I go to check on them they seem happy and healthy so the 2 deaths were confusing. However, this morning I stayed and watched awhile and noticed that some of the chicks have glistening beaks in the morning sun. It looks like thay may have runny noses?? I think I heard one sneeze also while I was out with them. Could this be why they died? We have only had them 1 week and 3 days. Could it just be stress from acclimating?

So what do you guys think? I appreciate your help because it sounds like you know alot more than I do! But I have to confess this is not such a fun way to start with chickens. We really have gotten attached to little birdies already.
  2. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    I am not sure if this will help you or not, but I will go thru a list of what we did. Keep in mind this is in May not Sept. Also I do not know how old yours are, this would apply to 1day - 1month old.
    1 keep the temp at at least 90 degrees
    2 No drafts
    3 food and Fresh water available at all times
    4 make sure the air exchanges enough to keep it fresh
    5 if any are acting at all poorly-quarentine them til better
    6 yogurt is good for them
    7 feeding them chopped hard boiled eggs is ok and good for them

I believe you can also give them vitamins to help them at first. If I am wrong on any of these things I am sure someone will let you know. Good luck [​IMG]
  3. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Look up a product called VetRx sold by Jeffers Pet Supply. I have some ordered already. It's kind of a booster given about every 2 weeks and you may want to look up signs and symptoms of different poultry respiratory problems at the University of Mississippi site.
    And give us any new symptoms you might notice.
    Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by