running noses and lost 2 already

happymama

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 21, 2008
Tennessee
I have 38 17 week old RIRs. I lost one Sunday Am and one yesterday AM. Today all were alive YEAH but ..... The 2 that diead looked perfectly normal. They did not show any signs of distress or that they had been pecked or anything like that. Thay are in a portable coop (10 ft by 12 ft)that gets moved everyday to fresh grass. I have not noticed any irregular poops. When I go to check on them they seem happy and healthy so the 2 deaths were confusing. However, this morning I stayed and watched awhile and noticed that some of the chicks have glistening beaks in the morning sun. It looks like thay may have runny noses?? I think I heard one sneeze also while I was out with them. Could this be why they died? We have only had them 1 week and 3 days. Could it just be stress from acclimating?

So what do you guys think? I appreciate your help because it sounds like you know alot more than I do! But I have to confess this is not such a fun way to start with chickens. We really have gotten attached to little birdies already.

I am not sure if this will help you or not, but I will go thru a list of what we did. Keep in mind this is in May not Sept. Also I do not know how old yours are, this would apply to 1day - 1month old.
1 keep the temp at at least 90 degrees
2 No drafts
3 food and Fresh water available at all times
4 make sure the air exchanges enough to keep it fresh
5 if any are acting at all poorly-quarentine them til better
6 yogurt is good for them
7 feeding them chopped hard boiled eggs is ok and good for them

I believe you can also give them vitamins to help them at first. If I am wrong on any of these things I am sure someone will let you know. Good luck
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom