RUNNING OUT OF FOOD..WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Chickaroo!

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
My "chicks" are going to be 18wks old next Friday. I'm out of starter/grower and need to get them more food. It only comes in 50lb. bags so I'm pretty sure most of that would go to waste, as they soon will be eating layer. What should I do?

They're mostly done growing by now, I'd go ahead and give them layer, which will get them ready to start laying too.
big_smile.png
At that age the extra calcium won't hurt a bit.

Just go ahead and buy them layer feed. That is what my chickens ate at about 18 weeks. They have been laying an egg each almost every day for about 2 weeks now and nothing is wrong withh them and not one of their eggs have been soft the are just perfect!!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

There's nothing wrong with finishing out the chick feed on adult birds, as far as I know. I just make sure to offer them oyster shell or boiled egg shells for the calcium when they start laying . . . I never buy layer for my birds until everyone has started laying, so my birds are usually well into adulthood before all my chick feed is used up and I'm ready to switch. I've never had problems.

Just an F.Y.I. b/c I didn't mention it in my first post...none have started laying yet. From what I'm gathering, if I switch them to layer, it wouldn't be an issue?

Back
Top Bottom