Layer feed vs all flock

corthendo

Chirping
May 22, 2023
I ran out of starter/grower and went to Wilco to get food yesterday and I panicked at the store trying to decide what to get. I have one hen that just started laying this week and the other 5 should be laying within the next few weeks. I put oyster shell out for them on the side and I ended up getting layer feed. I’m all freaked out that they are going to get too much calcium now. I wonder if when this bag is empty if I should go to an all flock instead so they can get more protein as it seems like layer doesn’t have as much.

I ran out of starter/grower and went to Wilco to get food yesterday and I panicked at the store trying to decide what to get. I have one hen that just started laying this week and the other 5 should be laying within the next few weeks. I put oyster shell out for them on the side and I ended up getting layer feed. I’m all freaked out that they are going to get too much calcium now. I wonder if when this bag is empty if I should go to an all flock instead so they can get more protein as it seems like layer doesn’t have as much.
Layer rarely has as much protien as other feed.

If it's just a few weeks, it's honestly fine. I've raised birds (including roosters) for years on just layer, from hatching. I don't recommend it, they never were as sturdy as the properly fed ones, but I was young and didn't know there was that big a deal.

The worst thing it might do is give them a bit of extra calcium that they'll turn into thick egg shells, especially if you do go back to all flock with oyster on the side

If you decide to stick with layer your birds will be fine. I do notice that my pullets in the coop where I use flock raiser grow faster than the ones in my other coop that get a mix of flock raiser and layer pellets. I use some layer pellets because it makes the food bill less

If you decide to stick with layer your birds will be fine. I do notice that my pullets in the coop where I use flock raiser grow faster than the ones in my other coop that get a mix of flock raiser and layer pellets. I use some layer pellets because it makes the food bill less
My BYM are very tiny so I don’t think extra protein would be the worst thing lol. I think the Purina layer feed I got is 16% and they were on 19% I believe. So I think I’ll get the layer with extra protein next time.

You can get high protein layer, I feed 17% layer.
If they're getting enough calcium from the layer they won't eat the shell, no need to freak out.
I have a lot of anxiety when it comes to worrying about if it doing the right thing for them, I feel like there’s a lot of conflicting information lol.

I have a lot of anxiety when it comes to worrying about if it doing the right thing for them, I feel like there’s a lot of conflicting information lol.
runcirclsmiley2.gif

Back
Top Bottom