runny green poo, very tired 13 week old

Big dreams

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
My little white hen is having spells of being so tired she doesn't eat or drink, then she will be ok for a short time 10 , 20 min. then back to bed. Her poo is very very runny and green, but I have seen her eat. I don't have a clue what to do for her. Thanks for any advice.

Anyone have any ideas on what to feed her or ? seems the food goes right through, she eats, poops and then sleeps... I gave her yogart and oatmeal, also water with vit. Thanks.

I wouldn't necessarily feed oatmeal, but a little yogurt is a good idea. I would take the vitamins out of the water and, if you want to add something that will benefit her and help replace some electrolytes she's losing because of the diarrhea, use a little bit of *organic* Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV). It'll help get her gut back into a good pH, adds a little bit of good bacteria back, has stuff to help her digest food. 1 teaspoon per half gallon of water.

What are you currently feeding her? She should be on a starter/grower or appropriate complete feed for her age. Unless she's very slowly been introduced to grit, she shouldn't be getting any more solid foods like grains, greens, etc. But if she's outside she's had some exposure to those things.

I'd be concerned about bacterial enteritis, just a 'stomach bug' caused by bacteria since her poop is green and running. Were it more brown, rusty, any signs of blood, or mucousy I'd be more likely to consider coccidiosis.

If you want to hedge your bets, this is a hen I'd give Sulmet. The reason I'd give sulmet (versus Corid) is because Sulmet has action against E. coli and some other bacterial digestive tract illnesses. Coris is the premier med for coccidiosis in my (very humble) opinion, but it's not as broad spectrum.

To me, this seems like it warrants Sulmet. I'm NOT a big believer in antibiotics at all until I feel there's a true cause of bacterial illness - so this advice is not given as a what-the-heck-let's-treat-her bit of advice /grin Note - if you use Sulmet, do NOT use ACV in the water at the same time. Also for every day you treat with sulmet, treat that long x 2 afterwards with the ACV water and probiotics at least every other day. In other words, if you use Sulmet for 7 days, treat thereafter every other day with probiotics and ACV for 2 weeks.

In the mean time, let's discuss what she's eating. I'd make the glop were I you. Use the compete-diet crumbles she's eating, put a small dollop of yogurt (active culture - make sure it says that on the label or indicates that there are living bacteria inside), a tiny bit of water (preferably that laced with acv in the amounts listed above). Add a bit of a boiled egg yolk (freeze the rest for later use). Make it as dry or wet as she'll eat. Make it in a small amount (like for her size about a 1/3rd cup or less) so that you see she eats it all or a good little snack anyway.

As for her all-the-time food, I'd give her the starter/grower crumbles that she usually eats. I'd curtail more solid foods til after she's back on track, and then introduce slowly. (It takes the essential bacteria in the gut a month to get fully adjusted to a change in diet - don't take that long, but just do it slowly.)

I hope this helps.

In the mean time, can you tell us where she lives (pen, free range, pen and run, with other chickens, or alone, and what the other chickens' ages are)? What exactly you were feeding her? If her droppings are at all frothy? If she has access to pond water or puddles? Whether or not your water is city or well water? And whether you've checked the entire flock for mites/lice? If you'll please answer these questions, all chosen specifically for your bird and for a reason, it'll help us fill in a picture and better help you.

Thanks! And I hope we can help!

Ok, thank you for all the info, I will do as much as I can right now. As far as info on the chick, she and 23 others all live in a coop that is hmmm 10x12 I believe, with a large fenced in run, they have been out there quite some time now, all others are compleatly healthy I have been watching very close. They all eat the grower crumbles, and have clean water both inside and outside. We feed them some wet food in the mornings sometimes of just the crumbles and water, they eat it right up, no left overs, they sometimes get scratch (corn) it is just tossed out on the ground in the run so they go looking for it. There run is about half grass and some sand. It seemed that the hen took ill on a very warm day for us (90 or so) I thought she may have been overheated but it has been fair out for the past two days and she is still sickly. Trying to remember what else you asked but
idunno.gif
so hope this helps. Thanks again.

other questions: not frothy at all, no ponds or puddles just grass and sandy soil. All chickens are the same age.

Last edited:
She might have been fighting something and the heat just did it for her, pushed her into the "really not feeling good" category.

Are they all the same age, etc? Might just separate her and a buddy and treat them both. Everything else sounds good. Maybe she just got into something or needed something extra.

Alternately, you could just try probiotics and egg yolk and make sure she gets some. But since it's effecting her to the point where she doesn't eat or drink....

Incidentally is that light green, or dark almost forest green poop? Are there any white urates still in it?

I did bring her in, at present she is in the bathroom. She is a very friendly little lady but doesn't seem to have a problem being alone, or with humans. What would a probiotic be? Sorry I have been lucky and never had to medicate anything around here, not even my dogs, so I am bad at it.

Also her poop is looking better, a little solid and darker like a normal chicken poop, but it was bright green and very watery I am thinking maybe the heat was just to much because she is the weakest of all my chicks. I have ask questions about her before (breed gender) because of her paleness, now I am wondering if it is a health thing rather then a breed. ???

Thanks Again.

Green poop can also be caused by too much bile in the poop, which is sometimes the result of not enough food going through. Watery poop can also be caused by not enough food going through (or chicken being too hot). This happened to my chicken when she had an impacted/sour crop.

Make sure she gets plenty of vitamin/electrolyte water and check her crop, just to be on the safe side. It should be full-feeling after she has eaten for the day, but it should pretty much empty overnight. If you have her separated, take up her food at night and check her in the morning before feeding her - that should be a good indicator.

Back
Top Bottom